You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-2-2016 08:12:04  #1

Was there an open frame Underwood model 6?

I'm looking at getting an Underwood model 4, 5, or 6. I have found what I think is a model 6 in great shape for an even better price. I think it is a model 6 because it has the infinitely variable tab settings which are selected and deselected from the front of the machine. It has no number 1 key, of course, but also no number 0 key; something I love about this machine. The only problem is that it is an open frame.

I much prefer the open frame look,  but if it is missing parts I would rather wait for another Underwood.

My question is were Model 6 ever produced in an open frame design?

Thanks for your help.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

13-2-2016 08:31:55  #2

Re: Was there an open frame Underwood model 6?

Do you have a photo? Id love to see that!

It also could be a depression typewriter, I suppose, with the no 0 key (Use O) and no side panels. But I dont know.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

13-2-2016 11:39:30  #3

I would buy it.
It is more than likely complete, early model 6's were made without the panels.
As for the missing 0. It probably has a keyboard other than the standard QWERTY (for foreign languages, etc). 

My blog - Just Typewriters

24-2-2016 19:22:19  #4

The model 6 was made somewhere in the mid-1930's.  They were the first ones to have a tabulator with keyset tabs instead of the ones that were slideset.  They were still open typewriters, but they had advances such as the keytops, although they were still rimmed with chrome, they had plastic inserts.  The ribbon color changer was a lever with 3 positions instead of 2 keys with 2 positions.  They were wider machines with bigger rubber feet.  But outside of that, they were the same old familiar Underwood typewriters everybody knew and loved.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera