You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-6-2013 14:15:25  #1

Imperial 55

A while back I bought an Imperial 55 (from the same person who sold me the Monarch), but I've only just got around to looking at it properly.

The first thing I discovered was that the carriage won't move. I suspected a locking mechanism, but when I checked the manual for the 66 model (on the Yahoo 'Typriters' group), I was amazed to discover the whole thing disassembles. You just press down on various levers and you can take out the typing mechanism, carriage and platen; just leaving the shell.

Anyhow. It soon became obvious that the drawstring is broken (see the picture below of the inside of the shell - it's more of a tape than a sting). What's less obvious is how to fix it. Has anyone got a picture of a working assembly for this model (or similar) I could use for reference?

Also, a mysterious slug of metal fell out of the machine when I took it apart. It's about 2cm long and 0.5cm wide. Thinnish silver metal (a mm) that's very soft. It could be lead, but doesn't feel like it. Does anyone know what it's for?

16-6-2013 16:22:37  #2

Re: Imperial 55

From what I've read, Imperial drawstrings are fiddly to replace. There is an article online somewhere about how to do it. I'll try and find it for you. 

Found it!

This is how to replace the drawband on an Imperial MODEL 50. Yours is a little later than that, but I reckon the procedure would be almost the same: 

http://oztypewriter.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/patemans-pearler-imperial-model-50.html

Last edited by Shangas (16-6-2013 16:26:26)

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

04-7-2013 17:58:36  #3

Replacing the drawstring turned out to be very easy. I have some pictures that I'll post soon. Thanks to Halifaxlad for providing the replacement string.

04-7-2013 20:37:19  #4

Congrats, steve. Looking forward to photographs

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera