You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-2-2016 19:05:52  #1

Cleaning Plated and Non Plated Metal

I figured I would make a guide on how to clean and polish plated and non plated metal.

FOR CLEANING AND POLISHING NICKEL PLATED PARTS:
No rust:
Clean with a wet cloth, dry, polish with metal polish. Also use 00 steel wool. PB Blaster also works to polish metal if you soak the part, but I have not experimented a lot with this.

Rust:
Start with CLR for rust stains and minor powder rust. For heavier rust, use 00 steel wool. If the rust is not going away with the steel wool, then try using tinfoil with water.

NON PLATED METAL:
Theres really nothing to this. I have found that cleaning the metal with CLR, and then scrubbing with steel wool works best.

BLACKENING PARTS:
I have found for a temporary (I have not tested it, so Im saying its temporary) blackened coating on metal, mix about 3 PB Blaster to 1 CLR. I have actually come up with this accidentally, and I was trying to remove some rust on some parts when I noticed some screws blackening, along with some other non plated parts. 
TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Feel free to correct me or add your own solutions!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

14-2-2016 23:52:45  #2

Re: Cleaning Plated and Non Plated Metal

I can't recommend steel wool of any grade for plated parts - all are abrasive and will cut the chrome or nickel plate.

This I have used with better results:
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=5100#p5100

Sincerely,
beak.

15-2-2016 01:27:33  #3

What is the best way to clean the keys that have the metal ring aroubd the edge? I would love to get them looking a bit cleaner.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

15-2-2016 06:22:38  #4

Mmmmm Colrehogan, I have not really tried anything yet, but I am assuming one of the above things would help. Im sure that if the nickel plating is getting dull looking, and the rest of the nickel plating is shiny, its wear from peoples fingers on the rings.

Back from a long break.

15-2-2016 06:23:49  #5

Beak, thanks for the link. I knew of that method, I have just found that steel wool is best. I use the finest grad, if it matters.

Back from a long break.

15-2-2016 12:18:48  #6

Typewriterguy, I am attaching a link to the machine with the keys I was asking about cleaning.  It could be that you are right and it is due to use/wear on the keys or the age of the keys.  I have tried some chrome polish on the keys and it doesn't seem to help all that much.

http://typewriterdatabase.com/1921-lc-smith-8.5777.typewriter

15-2-2016 15:50:48  #7

Can you just copy the image link and paste it here? For some reason, TWDB doesn't load on my computer.

Back from a long break.

15-2-2016 22:47:58  #8

16-2-2016 07:13:08  #9

Hmmm.... Im going to say thats not wear, since all of the rings look the same. Its possible that they looked like that too when it was new. I really dont know though....

Back from a long break.

16-2-2016 12:25:46  #10

Ok.  Thank you for looking.  I really had no idea.  The polish does become black when I rub it on the key edges, so maybe it is getting something off them.  It is hard to do each individual key, so I probably won't pursue this much longer since it isn't making a significant difference in the appearance of the machine.

Board footera