You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-3-2016 19:02:08  #21

Re: Cleaning Plated and Non Plated Metal

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Thanks Adam., great info!

One thing I want to ask. You know that layer of built op dirt and grease on some nickel parts, right? What if you just used the steel wool for that, and sopped as soon as its gone? Wouldn't it take off little plating?

Ive gotta try waxing some of my nickled parts though. I thought about it and never tried it...

Hi TypewriterGuy - For myself, I still would not - nickel (relatively speaking) is incredibly soft next to steel (wool or otherwise)...I simply used a wetted microfibre cloth and a wee bit of dish detergent first to attempt to remove grime...in the even that does not work I will attempt gentle solvents or insert (as was suggested by another above) into a ultrasonic cleaner (but NOT with the ultrasonic solvent that is often sold with it - just water)...the fact is that some solvents can adversely affect (or even react in some cases) with the metals....keep 'er simple, as the old folks used to say, and start gentle before going to town with it...sticky grime comes in many forms - waxes can be removed with de-natured alcohol, oils with mineral spirits, and acetone cane really eat away at metals...but you always risk affecting metal patinas with solvents (and so I am not advocating using them).  If the dish detergent and wet microfibre cloth didn’t work, I would personally escalate to a gentle polish cream designed for nickel and the fine abrasive in there would generally work it off safely...steel wool will work by all means but it is not a question of wiping off right away...it just will scratch the nickel right way...and for me personally is not worth the time it invites saving.  It is of course a personal judgement call...I will say this...I have RARELY ever had to even use emery or a fine brass bristle Dremel wheel at the recommended RPM ...the polish technique I describe above always worked in all but 2 cases where the scratches were deep enough ...the adage I learned is this: “if you can catch your fingernail on a scratch, using a polish cream will not be enough” …you’d need more than a polish cream (like a emery cloth or brass bristle wheel)...otherwise for simple fogginess, dullness and tiny scratch swirls, a quality polish cream will work...but it takes 10+ minutes versus 10 seconds...but (in my view) 10x more satisfying....but to each his/her own.  Hope that helps & good luck!

Board footera