You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-2-2016 20:08:45  #1

Can you date my Remington Quiet-Riter?

Hi, everyone. I've got a Remington Quiet-Riter QR-2843836. I'm guessing this is about 1955, but I just don't know. Can anybody help?
The same machine appears in this 1958 TV commercial on YouTube, in which you'll learn the Remington portables sold for $84.50 to $133.95 in that year. You could put $5 down and pay $1.50 a week. I imagine a lot of people bought them that way. Love how solid this machine is -- and the beefy mid-fifties design is pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rar0CSSB9ts
My other favorite typewriters are the SCM electric portables from 1960 to 64 -- because they have that great mid-century modern design and are so easy to type on.

Dick Sanders
 I took typing classes in the 8th and 9th grades to avoid electives such as wood shop. Little did I know they would be the most important classes of my education.

27-2-2016 23:32:44  #2

Re: Can you date my Remington Quiet-Riter?

I looked in the Typewriter Database.  Assuming that the QT serial numbers that I see there are supposed to be QR, it looks like your number would be in 1955.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

29-2-2016 18:50:39  #3

colrehogan wrote:

Assuming that the QT serial numbers that I see there are supposed to be QR...

​There were QT and QR prefixes. QR models are a post 1952 prefix and have the same numbering sequence as QT models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-2-2016 19:22:14  #4

Okay, so there were QT and QR prefixes, but the QR came after 1952. And if the QR follows the same sequence, then you're saying that my machine is definitely 1955. Is that right?
Also, is there an explanation for using both QT and QR prefixes? Were the QRs manufactured at another location, or in another country?
Thanks for the responses, guys!

Dick Sanders
 I took typing classes in the 8th and 9th grades to avoid electives such as wood shop. Little did I know they would be the most important classes of my education.

02-3-2016 11:44:32  #5

Dick, the Typewriter Database is a great site - you can lose hours on it... 

02-3-2016 14:35:52  #6

Thanks, Kat. I've been to the database, but they list just the Remington QT numbers, while mentioning the QR started in Jan 1953 and followed the same sequence. Not clear what that means.
 If mine had a QT prefix, it would be from 1955. But from the virtual gallery of Mark Petersen on the same site, under Remington Quiet-Riter gallery, he shows a QR-2831456 that he says is from 1956. My serial number is QR-2843836, which suggests it would likely be from 1956, too, or maybe even 1957.
Wish I could get to the bottom of this. What's the difference between QT and QR, other than QR started in Jan of 1953 and the QTs started earlier? Anybody know what Remington was doing here?

Dick Sanders

02-3-2016 18:10:40  #7

A few points:
1. Identical numbering ("same sequence") means a QR number would be the same as those with a QT prefix.

2. I would caution you not to use the manufacture years quoted in other people's galleries. Some people don't look up the numbers correctly, others just don't have a clue as to what they're doing, and consequently the wrong year can be entered. Another scenario, which has happened to me several times, is when newly uncovered information modifies an existing serial number list. For example, when you create a gallery and state that your machine was manufactured in 1956 based on the information available at the time, you might find later on that an update to the serial number list now states the correct year as being 1955. I rarely check these things with my own galleries (who knows how many of them have date errors right now), but I have found a few that had the wrong year because of updated serial number lists. Supporting this, I know that the Remington serial numbers were massively overhauled not all that long ago, so galleries that were created prior to that update could display inaccurate information.

3. Remington models were produced in several different countries and some used unique prefixes and numbers, and some didn't. In some cases this is well know and noted in the database, and in other cases it's a great chasms of missing data.   
4. The Database presents information that can vary from being deadly accurate to a best guess. Keep this in mind when using it. It is a valuable reference tool, and not a final word. This holds for other aspects of a typewriter too such as model names. Be especially cautious of the comments made in galleries; too many people read pure speculation as if it was a fast fact.

5. If in doubt, or if it will help you sleep better at night, I'd suggest putting a "c." in front of any year you attach to your machine... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-3-2016 18:26:11  #8

I love the way the question was worded:  "Can you date my Remington Quiet-Riter?"  Well, sir, if I don't tell my girlfriend.  And do you want her back home by 10:00 PM? Har har har!!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

12-3-2016 14:53:57  #9

At last, I can rest easy knowing someone else has as bad a sense of humor as I.

~Joe

14-3-2016 20:15:50  #10

TypewriterKing wrote:

"Do you want her back home by 10:00 PM?

Well, I may regret this... but, okay, if you promise to have her home by 10 pm. But no banging. No rolling around. No numbers!

Dick Sanders

Board footera