You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-3-2016 04:31:02  #1

Remington Noiseless 6 Cleaning and Platen Repairs

Hello.
I am rather new in the typewriter community so please bare with me if I get some of the terminology wrong. I recently acquired a Remington Noiseless 6 (stationary) at an auction and to my surprise it was very much in working order, save for the cracked up platen, the paper bail rollers, the copious amount of dust inside it, as well as the lack of tabulator stops. I don't quite know what to do next, so I'd highly appreciate some advice.

I don't think I could possibly get all the dust out by hand and I've found no safe way to remove the type bar assembly to reach it all. Is there any danger that I'll screw up some mechanism if I were to stick a pipe cleaner in there or is compressed air a better option?

Regarding the platen, it looks rather cracked up (see the pictures) but I don't know if it's just on the surface of if it goes deeper. If it is just the surface layer would it be possible to sand off that layer and build upon the old rubber with large shrinking tube, or would it be a better idea to remove it altogether? Is there any preferred DIY material for replacement? I have also tried removing the platen to take some measurements but decided against it after fiddling about with it for a while. If there is anyone who might happen to know how it is removed on this particular model I'd be very grateful.    

Similarly, as you can also see in the pictures, the paper bail roller have seen better days. Is there by any chance a good way to replace them? 
Here are some full resolution pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/hFCJR8WgEhHJAPZJ8

03-3-2016 06:32:36  #2

Re: Remington Noiseless 6 Cleaning and Platen Repairs

I've seen people use automotive tubing to fix paper bail rollers and feed rollers.  Richard Polt fixed the feed rollers on my Rheinmetall this way.  I guess you just go to autozone or similar car repair place and ask to look at stuff like windshield washer fluid lines and tubing like that, to see if you can find one of the correct ID and OD.

For the platen, it looks pretty much  shot to me.  If you have the equipment to grind it down, you could do that, and then use the shrink wrap to build it back up.  JJ Short does platen resurfacing for about $60 plus shipping both ways, and Typewriterguy here knows another guy that resurfaces platens, but not sure how he does it.

03-3-2016 06:40:09  #3

I use the heat shrink way, but I have different sizes. I think I have 2 inch (Shrinks to 1 inch) 1 1/2 inch (Shrinks to 3/4 inch) and 1/4 inch for feed rollers I also have smaller sizes for feed rollers. I only offer it in case you dont want to end up with lots of heat shrink... Like I did....

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-3-2016 10:54:59  #4

Spazmelda wrote:

I've seen people use automotive tubing to fix paper bail rollers and feed rollers.  Richard Polt fixed the feed rollers on my Rheinmetall this way.  I guess you just go to autozone or similar car repair place and ask to look at stuff like windshield washer fluid lines and tubing like that, to see if you can find one of the correct ID and OD.

For the platen, it looks pretty much  shot to me.  If you have the equipment to grind it down, you could do that, and then use the shrink wrap to build it back up.  JJ Short does platen resurfacing for about $60 plus shipping both ways, and Typewriterguy here knows another guy that resurfaces platens, but not sure how he does it.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the local auto shop for the tubing. Sadly having it refurbished by a professional is not an option unless this individual happens to reside in the deep, dark forests of Sweden

03-3-2016 10:58:41  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

I use the heat shrink way, but I have different sizes. I think I have 2 inch (Shrinks to 1 inch) 1 1/2 inch (Shrinks to 3/4 inch) and 1/4 inch for feed rollers I also have smaller sizes for feed rollers. I only offer it in case you dont want to end up with lots of heat shrink... Like I did....

Good to know that this method is a viable one, thanks. When it comes to the supply of shrink tubing; my father is an electrician so that won't be a problem. Is there a preference you have when it comes to the wall thickness and composition of the rubber?

03-3-2016 15:25:35  #6

So, I've been racking my brain over how to get the platen out of the carriage of the machine and I can not figure it out. There seems to be nothing that actually gives. Even after having removed all screws pertaining to the platen there is nothing that would allow me to slot it out or pull out any kind of bar that is keeping it in place. I updated the image album I linked to in my OP with pictures of the carriage. 

03-3-2016 15:42:08  #7

For the heat shrink, it really doesn't matter what thickness you use, just keep in mind how many layers you use depends on it
Also, it won't be professional, but if you just want to use it to occasionally type, it will be great.

Id help you out with the platen rod, but I have never had one of those so I dont know.

Back from a long break.

03-3-2016 16:37:12  #8

TypewriterGuy wrote:

For the heat shrink, it really doesn't matter what thickness you use, just keep in mind how many layers you use depends on it
Also, it won't be professional, but if you just want to use it to occasionally type, it will be great.

Id help you out with the platen rod, but I have never had one of those so I dont know.

Ok, thanks a lot.
As long as I can get through this over-engineered return lever mechanism, (seriously, considering how complicated it is the inventor is probably German XD), I'll be fine as far as the platen goes!

03-3-2016 17:01:30  #9

Hmmm. Looks like the right side lifts out because the lack of a solid piece keeping it in place. As for the right side... I think there might be some set screws that release the rod through the middle of the platen. I'm not sure how it works, for I have a 1940 Underwood Noiseless, which is about a difference of 10 years compared to yours. Try putting the left platen knob on, then pulling out the rod. It's hard to get a platen rod out with no knobs 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

03-3-2016 18:07:08  #10

Not unless you GENTLY hit it with a hammer!

Really. If you do this, GENTLY tap it!

Back from a long break.

Board footera