You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-3-2016 01:53:12  #1

Olympia Schreibmaschine Mittelgross 3 with squeak

Greetings All

Just did a cleaning and oiling on an Olympia SM-3, but there's one annoying squeak I just can't seem to get rid of. The unit was stripped down to the basic mechanism (all covers and carriage removed) then washed out with industrial solvent and dried with regulated compressed. After sitting in the sun for a couple of hours to finish airing out, it was brought in an ½ a drop on Liquid Bearings® was put onto every link, pivot point and moving part. The suspension rubber bushings between the case and the mechanism had squished, so cut new ones from 8mm rubber conveyor belt material.

The squeak happens when any type bar gets to the half way point and contacts the semi-circular bar behind that activates the escapement. I can't see any other pivot points or linkages that I haven't oiled. Any ideas as to what I may have missed? All the best,

Sky

Olympia SM-3 S/N 1658440 (grey with brown keys and cursive typeface)

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

04-3-2016 04:12:42  #2

Re: Olympia Schreibmaschine Mittelgross 3 with squeak

Hello and welcome.

Perhaps the noise is coming from your wrist? - How old are you?  I once spent a stupid half hour trying to locate a squeaky floorboard that turned out to be one of my ageing knees.

Seriously though - I don't know, but someone who does will be along before long.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera