You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-3-2016 20:29:27  #1

Royals compared to other typewriters?

I have a Lettera 22 and a Groma Kolibri, both of which feel very well engineered, like a car with a smooth shifting manual transmission. But I also have a Royal Valiant, Royal Sprite, and a Remington (Sperry Rand) Monarch I. I really like the chicklet keys (pc keyboard style). I make fewer errors. But these latter machines feel amazingly cheap by comparison. They feel looser, sloppier, and just not like precision machines you'd use to type a novel - more like for a half page letter or something.

My question is: what am I seeing here? Is there a grade difference in typewriters I need to know about? I'm only interested in machines that I can type on for a full 8hr day. The 2 Royals don't seem up to it. I like the Remington, but it still doesn't seem to have that sportscar feel of the Lettera or the Groma.

Oddly, even the Lettera 32 I have doesn't feel as sporty as the Lettera 22, though it may be that I find the slightly larger round keys easier to use (in my own sloppiness) than the tiny square keys of the 32. It's certainly nowhere near as "loose" feeling as the Royals.

- from somewhere in Forest Park

05-3-2016 20:55:15  #2

Re: Royals compared to other typewriters?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of typing on the later Royal portables. For styling, I love them, but for typing I agree with your description of how they feel.  These include a '55 Quiet Deluxe, two Royalites ('60 and '62), a 60 Futura, and two Safaris (mid '60s). I also had a '69 Royal Custom III that was pretty much the same as the Safaris, but I donated it. Now, I do have a '48 Quiet Deluxe that is quite different than the later ones.  I don't have a standard Royal (except for the Empress which is similar to the later portables, imo).

For portables, my favorites to type on are Adler Primus (my very very favorite), an Olympia SM4, a Hermes 3000, and a SC Sterling.

05-3-2016 20:57:01  #3

Also enjoyable, but less efficient... an underwood 3 bank and a Remington Portable 3. The Underwood 3 bank especially is surprisingly nice, once you get used to the double shift.

05-3-2016 21:42:01  #4

For their standard line, Royal is king. I've used many other Royal competitors (still looking for the Smith Corona though...) and I prefer them the most. As for their portable line, I feel the later ones are not as good. I love using my 1928 Royal Portable, I feel like the touch is very similar to its big sister the Royal 10, but I don't quite like the performance of my Royal Arrow. The touch is very good, but the escapement likes to jam and crowd, so I get spacing errors when I type. Same with the Quiet DeLuxe I gave to my brother. It felt loose and sloppy when put up against other ones like the Underwood Noiseless Portable and my Torpedo 18.

That being said, I still enjoy using my Arrow. I like to use it much more than the Smith-Corona Clipper I own and it's good to me when I type with a set, steady rhythm. I would say that Royal has a very fine portable line, even up to the very end. But if you prefer other ones, that's up to you. One's sense of touch is a very personal thing, so do what I do, an just keep buying until you find "the one"! 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

05-3-2016 22:33:12  #5

Please, people, don't be too dogmatic in comparing typewriters. Remember that they all have 50 to 100 or so years of completely unknown use, maintenance, and storage no to mention the restoration and shipping they might have recently been subjected to before you got it. It's quite possible for two examples of the same model and year to vary more than two examples of different brands. We often read comments by some who have more than one of a particular model and vastly prefer one of them to the other(s).

The point is that without many more samples than any of us can get access to, we can't categorically state the "this model" is very good and "that model" is mediocre. (Well, there are some reliable differences you can expect between older ones and, say, post-mid-1960s.)

For example, Asher Black, if you want to type 8 hours a day, you really should be getting familiar with office models. The consensus is that they are much better for typing a lot, for reasons that we can go into. But try some of the office typewriters. Royals are pretty common and respected, as are Underwoods, Olympias, Hermes, Remingtons, and others. And Selectrics, if you don't mind electric ones.

BTW, what do you mean by chiclet keys on a typewriter? Just the shape?

05-3-2016 23:32:28  #6

My 1946 Royal Quiet De Luxe is one of my smoothest machines. Granted, I have to slow down my typing speed and rhythm to avoid the 'word-joining' idiosyncrasy that these machines are known for, but aside from that, '40s Royals are a pleasure to use. Oh, and they sometimes don't return to the exact left margin when you slide the carriage return lever across.
Aside from Royals, if you want long-range writing, Olympia SM models from the 1950s are pretty slick. Same with Smith-Corona Silent Supers. I could write all day on either of these.

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

06-3-2016 00:48:17  #7

Royals,  like Ford cars, have made some of the very best but also some of the very worst.  Among the best uprights:  From about 1906 to about 1962, all of them are superior.  After that, they drop off, just a tiny bit, but I like the older ones better;  The best electrics:  from about 1955 to about 1963.  After that, again, they drop off just a tiny bit;  Portables:  Same story, but starting in 1926 to about I guess about 1960.  After that, they drop off a tiny bit.  The portables are a little slow, but they have a nice touch, and the ones I've used were quite reliable.  If you keep maintenance on any typewriter--even a Remington electric (and you'll need to keep lots of maintenance on hand for one of those)--you'll have a machine that will outlive your grandchildren.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

06-3-2016 07:28:31  #8

Go with an early Royal desktop, such as a Royal flatbed, Royal 10, Royal KMM (Considered one of the best typewriters) etc.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

06-3-2016 08:30:14  #9

Well now!  'For their standard line, Royal is king.' would be a debating topic on which I would rather be among the opposition to the motion!

Alpina (double as standards) are better built.  Nothing is built better.
Olympia likewise (IME), and their standards offer a greater range of features required of a standard machine than do Royal.  As do, btw, all the top-of-the-line machines from other great manufacturers I know.
Hermes (in models such as the ambassador) knock any Royal that I have seen sideways.

Yes of course we all have our favourites - and or limits of experience!  Perhaps the statement was intended to apply only to typewriters from the USA?

Sincerely,
beak.

06-3-2016 08:56:13  #10

^Beak, I have never seen a hermes, olympia, or adler (Besides my 80s Royal TA) in person, so I would day that the Royal is King applies to the US.

Also, another great desktop is a good old Underwood 5

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera