You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-3-2016 09:07:14  #71

Re: Royals compared to other typewriters?

Specifically on the Olympias, is it true they're particularly hard to service vs. the Olivettis etc?

- from somewhere in Forest Park

31-3-2016 09:23:28  #72

No offence on my part, I hope.
   I think you were somewhat unlucky here in that you fell foul of an irritating phenomena experienced outside the USA, namely, that of some Americans (not talking about you) who proclaim America and things American as superior when they clearly have have hardly experienced anything other than America.  The rest of the world is getting into the habit of reacting to this quickly and firmly when they experience it - especially in cases where the example is ridiculous.  Again, I am speaking generally and not about this thread. 
  I like my Royal HH; it is well built and even looks well built.  It simply lacks features I would expect as standard on a 'standard'.
  It was good to have your opinion - it just wasn't the same as mine.
I really want to get hold of an S-C series 5 'Silent Super' - but here in Australia they are rare as hen's teeth (as they say over here) and I have only seen two for sale in the last three years; both too far gone to be useful working machines.  Do you know these machines?  What do you think of them?

Sincerely,
beak.

31-3-2016 11:16:09  #73

No offence should have been taken. Typewriter Talk is a discussion forum, and the sharing of ideas and experiences is what we do here, as is being open to others countering those with opinions of their own. Healthy and polite debate is what forums are about, and I believe the members of this forum hold a high standard in terms of civility. And getting facts right, and debunking myths is just a part of the fun.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-3-2016 16:15:43  #74

beak wrote:

that of some Americans (not talking about you) who proclaim America and things American as superior when they clearly have have hardly experienced anything other than America.

...I was going to go on a long, sarcastic, stereotypical rant that would have seemed very offensive and appalling but if you had a twisted sense of humor it would be funny yet somehow it would agree with beak, but I decided against it because since there is a lack of tone over text. Especially over the internet. 

But, yes, I do think beak is right. We're seeing it right now, and even though things look bleak for us, I still have hope that looking at things objectively will eventually prevail and my experience will be chalked up as something only old people remember. Such as walking 40 miles to a one room school, uphill, both ways. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

31-3-2016 16:35:49  #75

Yes, I know these machines quite well.  In my opinion, from what I've studied about each one I've owned and sold, they are among the best portables Smith-Corona has made.  Now that's judging from my own experiences.  I have two newer versions, including one badged as a Sears Tower.  In addition, these machines are light and somewhat compact, but from what I see, they're fairly well-made. If you find one, GET IT.   I hope this helps.  P.S.  I have two Olympia SG-series typewriters (one my mother gave to me years ago) that I plan to fix up and repaint something other than that greeny-green.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

31-3-2016 16:44:54  #76

Beak, I almost forgot.  You'll want to opt for a Silent Super made in the latter fifties.  I have one made in 1958, and my Tower version was made in 1960.  The ones made earlier have only 84 characters while the latter ones have 88.  Although they don't typically have lots of extras, you can get one with half-vertical spacing, and they all have a very decent paper stand.  

31-3-2016 16:52:30  #77

Asher Black wrote:

Specifically on the Olympias, is it true they're particularly hard to service vs. the Olivettis etc?

I haven't serviced too many Olivettis.  Their manuals are a little different, but I can get to at least most of the innards, but their electrics--especially the Praxis--are an absolute nightmare.  Olympias (I have not serviced any SMs, but the SGs, now, there are few typewriters as easy to get at their innards as an Olympia SG.  All you have to do is flip the two dials on the back sides of the typewriter and just lift the carriage right off!  That's all you have to do.  And it's quite roomy inside where the escapement is, and what's more, the outer shell is held on by a few bolts and is very removable.  Judging only by my stateside experience from what I've seen of the two brands, I would say that Olympia, in addition to being the superior machine, is also far easier to repair and service.

31-3-2016 21:21:13  #78

Just got my hands on my first Olivetti, and boy is it different! Cannot place my finger on it, but just the way the mechanisms are configured and constructed... it's... it's different. I quite like it, but it's only my first and I'd like to get to know more about the Italian typewriters.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

01-4-2016 03:22:03  #79

The thing with Olivettis is that the Italians have a love of engineering - in fact engineering as art. Why make a mechanism the same way as everyone else when you can think of an entirely different way of achieving the same end result ?  You can particularly see this in pre-1964 Olivettis.  It is interesting that you can see national characteristics in the way typewriters are made.  German - immaculate precision engineering, English - (Imperial) very 'nuts and bolts' everything adjustable, American - cruder construction, lots of nickel plating, Swiss - everything on a finer scale, more like clock and watch engineering etc. etc.

01-4-2016 16:58:32  #80

thetypewriterman wrote:

The thing with Olivettis is that the Italians have a love of engineering - in fact engineering as art. Why make a mechanism the same way as everyone else when you can think of an entirely different way of achieving the same end result ?  You can particularly see this in pre-1964 Olivettis.  It is interesting that you can see national characteristics in the way typewriters are made.  German - immaculate precision engineering, English - (Imperial) very 'nuts and bolts' everything adjustable, American - cruder construction, lots of nickel plating, Swiss - everything on a finer scale, more like clock and watch engineering etc. etc.

Just how "crude" are we talking when we're discussing American-made typewriters, huh?  I'll have you know, sir, that our "crude" machines have outlived alot of people.  There's something to be said about "Proudly Made in the U. S. A.

And I don't think "crude" or any other negatives are in there.  Simple, perhaps, but crude implies that some out there think the quality of our stuff matches that of Yugo.  That is not the case, sir.  Not the case at all.

Board footera