You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-3-2016 16:48:59  #1

Royal 10 ribbon advance not working well

Hi,

I recently acquired a very good condition Royal 10, which I oiled well and it seems to be working reasonably well.  I am experiencing an issue where the ribbon does not seem to advance in a consistent way during typing... I have adjusted the recessed screw on the top left(is this what people are calling the mainspring on this machine?) and it seems to have helped a little... it was turned alot in the clockwise direction, I turned it in the counter-clockwise direction.  What am I doing when I rotate this screw?  Does it have any bearing on the ribbon advance?  How should I go about fixing the ribbon advance?

Thanks for any helpful advice!
-Mark

17-3-2016 17:30:57  #2

Re: Royal 10 ribbon advance not working well

So, if I get this straight, the ribbon is not advancing much? It is supposed to advance slowly, like a few mm at a time.

I would take the spools out (By the way, are they Royal 10 spools? Look up Royal 10 spools and see if they match) and check the worm gears inside the machine to make sure they aren't clogged with dust and stuff.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

17-3-2016 20:01:09  #3

Thanks for answering... yes, that is correct, it doen't advance much and not in a consistent way = meaning equal advances for each letter typed.  If I run the roller (platen?) back and forth it looks like it advances the best when the roller is running midway to all of the way left.... They are Royal 10 spools... the worm gear is not contacting flush with the gear that rotates the ribbon.  That's why I started playing with what I thought was the mainspring on the top left side... is that the mainspring???  What will adjusting that do?  No dust no, gunk... and I oiled all of the internals...

30-4-2016 22:00:51  #4

All that screw does is adjust the tension which the mainspring pulls on the carriage.  You say you turned it counterclockwise--you have loosened the tension a little or a lot--depending on how much you have turned it in that direction.  Turn your machine on its back (being careful to put a piece of cloth or an old cup towel to protect it), run the carriage to the left and right, and see what the drive shaft does.  If it spins and there is no effect on the carriage tension, set the machine back down and observe the ribbon mechanism on the front to see what it does.  On the left, you'll see an S-looking thing that is supposed to spin, along with two round wheels--one to the top and one to the bottom.  These usually freeze in place, and need to be oiled and worked with a pair of needlenose pliers.  Check also to see how the worm gear contacts the upper and lower gears.  Lastly, check the spin on the ribbon spools each side and see if the trip arms are not in the tripped position--meaning that the little wheels aren't in the same path as the essy-thing that spins (I'm not sure what this is called, but that's what it looks like).  I hope I've been of help.  Tell me how you come out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera