You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-3-2016 12:08:31  #1

Underwood Junior Portable

Hello, this is my first post here.  We are in the process of cleaning out the estate of my mother in law...and we found this in the attic.  I was surprised that it survived up there in relatively decent shape...despite being up there for I would bet at least 50-60 years or more in scorching heat.

What I'm trying to figure out is the model number.  On the left of the machine is a plate with a number.  I was reading that typically they are on the underneath of the right side of the carriage?  But this has a plate with a 6 digit number 594 something...sorry...at work and do not have that photo of the number. I will post that later when I get home.

I would also like to know the date of the machine if anyone knows.  I'm guessing during some point of the depression, after reading several articles online regarding the junior being made during that time for it's appeal to a poorer generation.

The machine works...though I've not tried to actually type with it with paper, since I assume the ink is dry.  But to my eye it works.  Can ribbon still be purchased for this? The case is rough...the leather handle is broken...no surprise there.

I grew up taking typing classes all thru school in the 80's...and though I'm not a collector....this thing just fascinates me for some reason.  I guess it's the fact that it has survived all these years.  I'm disappointed that I didn't know it was up in my mother in laws attic....because I would have asked her about it...where she got it etc. She was born in 1928, so I'm sure it was given to her.  We did find boxes of writing stuff that we have yet to really go thru....it appears at one point in her life she was writing things and sending it off in the mail to a writing school of some sort.  I will  have to dig into that more.  

My husband is not as fascinated with it LOL, he wants to sell it....and it's his right to do so if he chooses, however I'm going to maybe fight him on this one.

I hope this works for adding images....I uploaded to my google.

https://goo.gl/photos/3dz66eDcUFmUKqBi9

22-3-2016 12:34:40  #2

Re: Underwood Junior Portable

debratant wrote:

What I'm trying to figure out is the model number.

Do you mean the model name, or the serial number? The model name you already know, the serial number is located on a small plate under the left ribbon spool. 

debratant wrote:

I would also like to know the date of the machine if anyone knows.

If your memory is correct and the number starts with 594, then it's a 1932 model.

debratant wrote:

I'm guessing during some point of the depression, after reading several articles online regarding the junior being made during that time for it's appeal to a poorer generation.

I wouldn't describe it as 'appeal', but rather affordability. The Junior was among the least expensive typewriters that Underwood offered during that time.

debratant wrote:

The machine works...though I've not tried to actually type with it with paper, since I assume the ink is dry... Can ribbon still be purchased for this?

I cringe when I see a machine being used without paper loaded in the platen, and some here will strongly suggest that you should use a backing sheet too. You're not doing your machine any good by using it without paper. If you want to check the condition of a ribbon, load a sheet of paper and type a few lines. Be sure to observe that the ribbon itself is moving as you type. The machine uses standard 13 mm (½ in.) ribbon, which is readily available online. Depending on where you live, it might also be available from your local office supply store. You can also contact thetypewriterman who is a member here. He sells ribbon as well.

debratant wrote:

My husband is not as fascinated with it LOL, he wants to sell it....and it's his right to do so if he chooses, however I'm going to maybe fight him on this one. 

He's obviously not a very sentimental person. For what the machine would fetch, probably less than $100 in North America, it's not worth it in my mind. It's a small heirloom, one that actually has a practical use, so why not keep it, use it, and appreciate it?

debratant wrote:

I hope this works for adding images....I uploaded to my google.

There are instruction for posting images here in the FAQ thread in the Type Talk sub-forum.

I have a '32 Junior (#597697) too and have a soft spot for these stripped down budget models of the era. They perform very well given the lack of features found on more expensive models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2016 12:47:55  #3

Hi Uwe

I did not let the keys hit the platen at all...I used the space bar mostly but did gently depress each key being careful not to hit the platen.  

While I'm finding my husband is sentimental on a lot of the items we are discovering, the typewriter is not one of them. He hates to type anything, maybe that is why. I personally love to type, always did and I must say I'm quite fast at it LOL. 

Question....how did anyone type a number 1 on these machines.  I don't understand why there is no 1? 

22-3-2016 12:59:30  #4

debratant wrote:

how did anyone type a number 1 on these machines.  I don't understand why there is no 1? 

Considering that a typewriter can only be fitted with a limited amount of characters, you had to be careful when picking and choosing which to use. Most manufacturers offered a number of different character sets for their machines that buyers could choose from, and some included an exclamation mark, or a number 1, but when you consider that those two characters are very easy to reproduce using other existing characters, they are in a way a superfluous choice if you wanted other characters that otherwise could not be duplicated. For example, an exclamation mark can be reproduced by typing a period with an apostrophe over it. And the number one is even simpler: you only need to type a lowercase L. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2016 15:02:40  #5

I see that I need 3 posts in order to put images in my post.  I didn't even think about using a l for a 1 LOL. 
So the model # is 591949

22-3-2016 15:04:34  #6

That is a very nice looking machine, thanks for sharing it Uwe!

23-3-2016 11:22:54  #7

Aww, what an exciting find! It's so pretty. And it may be stripped-down and all the rest of it, and its 'appeal' may have been affordability, but it tells a real story about the era. Uwe's right, you're not going to get rich selling it - you may as well keep it, You can fix it up and sell the more boring things. You can do wonders on an old platen with rubber-rejuvenating products - as I learned thanks to Uwe.

(Also, if you have any kids and need an argument for keeping it, kids LOVE typewriters. Typewriters transformed the life of my boyfriend's kid, who now writes stories almost constantly on his. Good way to develop keyboard skills without the screen!)

Good luck!

29-3-2016 11:47:06  #8

Thanks Kat, I have decided to keep it

29-3-2016 16:16:55  #9

debratant wrote:

Thanks Kat, I have decided to keep it

That's great news...

Board footera