You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-3-2016 20:15:41  #1

Selectric II broken rotate tape

This might be a long shot, but I want to see if anyone has ever repaired the rotate tape on a Selectric II. Shortly after I turned on the typewriter last night, the "golf ball" stopped rotating. The effect was that I couldn't type any of the correct letters. Upon taking off the cover and looking over the machine with a flashlight, it looks like the rotate tape has snapped. I could buy a new rotate tape on eBay, but I don't have the first clue about how to install it. Since the tape has snapped, I can't tell which pulley(s) it's supposed to connect to. A couple things I've read also suggest that I'd have to have a special tool to perform this maneuver.  I'd really like a visual of the repair before I go through the trouble of ordering a new tape, but I can't find one online.

Also, having walked myself through the diagnosis and learned how inclined the Selectrics are to develop age-related problems, I'm wondering if it's even worth fixing. I didn't invest a whole lot in it, just $40 I think, but still! It seems like a solid little typewriter and I'd looked forward to using it. 

Any ideas or thoughts? 

24-3-2016 20:27:20  #2

Re: Selectric II broken rotate tape

It cannot be too hard to fix (Hopefully!) How much is the one on eBay? Could you make one or use something else?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-3-2016 04:55:30  #3

Here is a link to the standard book on repairing the IBM Selectric    http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/ibm/typewriter/selectric/Troubleshooting_The_IBM_Selectric_Typewriter.pdf    The nice thing about this is that there are plenty of (black and white) photos showing the interior of the machine.  This might help you determine if it is worth trying a repair.  I very much doubt that you could make a tilt or rotate tape yourself.  If buying, make absolutely certain that you are getting one appropriate to the platen length of your machine.  Good Luck

25-3-2016 08:18:56  #4

TypewriterGuy wrote:

It cannot be too hard to fix (Hopefully!) How much is the one on eBay? Could you make one or use something else?

How much do you actually know about the Selectric typewriter?

25-3-2016 09:21:33  #5

I might have a replacement tape (NOS), but I don't think it'll be of any help to you since it's in storage and I won't be able to go through the IBM parts I have for possibly a month or two. Just in case, when I do get around it and have sorted them by their length, I'll check back here again.

I appreciate the dilemma of deciding between a repair that might not seem worth your while to perform, and simply replacing the machine, but there is something sad when our finite supply of typewriters dwindles because of a repair that wasn't, but could have been made. Many typewriter repairs are not worth performing from a purely monetary standpoint, not when you factor in your time, because so many models are relatively cheap and easy to replace; however, such repairs are performed anyway, often for no other reason than the satisfaction it brings knowing that you have possibly added another generation worth of usability to a machine's life.

Good luck with your Selectric...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-3-2016 13:15:06  #6

It would be helpful if the OP would say where they are located.  Perhaps there is a repair shop somewhere near?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

25-3-2016 14:54:12  #7

Good point. I highly encourage everyone to update their profile so that it at least displays their city and country as it really can speed up the help process.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-4-2016 17:06:03  #8

Getting into the guts of any Selectric is tricky business.  But the first thing I'd do is find a known good Selectric from somewhere, or at least a carcass whose rotate tape is intact, so there would be a model from which to refer.  Then find out what carriage length you have--is it 11", 13", or 15"?  Those are the usual lengths used by Selectric.  The rotate mechanism is spring-loaded like a spring drum, but it's been so long since I've installed a rotate tape that I don'e remember just which direction of rotation to use.  You certainly don't want to wind it too tightly, but you want to have enough tension before you hook on the rotate tape on the type element side.  Follow the path from the type element side to the other side of the element carrier on the known put-together mechanism, and do likewise.  Try typing the letters.  You'll find an adjustment screw on either the right or left hand side wheel.  Adjust slowly one direction or the other.  It will be trial and error, and don't make too much of a turn either way.  Also, be extremely careful of the rotate tape itself--it is extremely SHARP, and it can slice you a good 'un on your hand.  I hope I've been of some help.  Let me know how you come out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera