You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-3-2016 23:04:04  #1

Lettera 22 cleaning problems

I got a 1963 Olivetti Lettera 22 today at a flea market for $13, which is a bit more than I wanted considering the carriage was all busted and off its front rail a bit. But I fixed that and it now moves once again. 

However, the carriage still squeaks, backspace sticks, and shifting won't go quite all the way back to its original resting lowercase spot as if the springs don't have enough tension (which they do).

Any tips on where to oil, clean, and adjust these spots? I thought I got them all, but I guess not.
(also, where is the lowercase alignment? I can't seem to locate it...)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

27-3-2016 06:25:29  #2

Re: Lettera 22 cleaning problems

Carriage squeaking COULD be that some oil or something liquid got inside the escarpment mechanism. That happened on my Super Speed. I had to take off the carriage and blow out excess oil.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

27-3-2016 20:19:16  #3

Hmm... I might just dunk clean it since everything is filthy. And it's small enough that it won't be too much of a problem. Only thing is, how do I get the casing off of it? (also the platen too)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

28-3-2016 09:51:21  #4

Case Removal :  Turn the machine upside down.  Remove the four screws that hold the rubber feet.  Take off the bottom plate.  Turn the machine the right way up.  Remove the four screws that hold the cast aluminium case to the frame.  Move the margin stops to the extreme ends of the margin rack.  Move the carriage as far to the left as it will go.  Lift the right of the case right up and move it to the left, unhooking it from under the carriage.  Platen Removal : Hold the platen tightly with one hand, and unscrew the platen knobs at each end.  Lift the platen out of the machine.  Lift the paper pan (deflector plate) out.  Do not operate the paper release lever whilst doing this.  The front feedroll comes out easily, but you might be best advised to leave the rear one where it is and clean round it.

Board footera