You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-3-2016 20:34:43  #1

Travel Case replacement

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I think this is a good spot.

Since the case of my newly acquired Olivetti Lettera 22 is just trash, what would be a good replacement for it? Are there certain cases and bags I should look into more than others? 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

28-3-2016 09:31:19  #2

Re: Travel Case replacement

I do know that some people use laptop cases.  Best to measure the machine, and then check e-bay for suitable sizes.

28-3-2016 12:40:45  #3

This thread from last June not only covers replacement travel cases (as opposed to the actual machine's case), but also for a Lettera 32 specifically, which has nearly the identical footprint as your Lettera 22. If it's only for storage, it would be far more cost effective to just cover the machine with some material to keep the dust out.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-3-2016 14:30:16  #4

For my wide carriage Olympia SM9, that xame minus the case, I'm using this retro-styled suitcase, along with some foam padding. Portable? Yes. Sort of.

28-3-2016 18:55:57  #5

Theres some guy online who sells universal cases somewhere....

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

28-3-2016 19:25:40  #6

What's a 'universal case'? Surely the idea is for the machine to fit in it, and we all know how different machines' sizes are... I got lucky a while back when there was a Lettera 22 going on eBay with no case, and at the same time someone listed a typewriter case on its own and it happened to be a L22 case - it was a match made in heaven! And it was a great little typer, too, right up to the moment when the mainspring snapped... naturally, in the middle of a week of workshops with kids. 

I've carried ultra-portables wrapped in a tea towel or similar and then in one of those canvas tote bags you get from eg bookshops or whatever - once wrapped like this it can just be slung into a slightly more sturdy shoulder bag and carried... 

28-3-2016 20:49:35  #7

Hmm... I might look into a light-weight laptop case. I would want something that offers a little more protection than a canvas bag, but something light enough that I can walk around with and not have shoulder pains. 

I also think I've found a true contender against my Olympia SF DeLuxe. The Olivetti Lettera 22 is light, the touch is pretty good (without me cleaning it), and it has a tabulator! (I think I lied when I said features don't matter... I just really like tabs). I might consider repainting it, or just taking the pain off and polishing it like that, but I'll see how it looks shined up.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

28-3-2016 21:33:06  #8

KatLondon wrote:

What's a 'universal case'? Surely the idea is for the machine to fit in it, and we all know how different machines' sizes are... 

The one place I have seen online that sells universal cases (one of the sites that sells really high priced typewriters), sells box style cases, with either custom cut foam, or Pick n Pluck foam inserts, the type of foam that is used in audio/video equipment and gun cases. I am not sure how well it works; I have just seen it online.

29-3-2016 06:15:11  #9

I think I was wrong about Pick N' Pluck foam being one of the options sold at the site I was talking about. Their description is either custom cut or cut yourself Kaizen foam. I am not sure it is the most affordable option, but here is the sight I was talking about:

http://mytypewriter.com/clasic-portable-typewriter-dust-cover---mytypewriter-com-exclusive-1.aspx

30-3-2016 11:04:46  #10

I see... Well, it mainly just looks expensive to me! 

Board footera