You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-3-2016 11:05:53  #11

Re: Travel Case replacement

And heavy. And like massive overkill for a Lettera 22.

30-3-2016 11:40:43  #12

I think it is rather pricey. One could probably do the same thing buying an empty generic case and foam elsewhere if one wanted to go that route.

30-3-2016 11:46:03  #13

KatLondon wrote:

And heavy. And like massive overkill for a Lettera 22.

I agree. It would be complete overkill for a Lettera 22. It would kind of defeat the purpose of its portability. I was just giving an example of what was being sold as a universal case. I think the bag option mentioned before would be much better.

01-4-2016 14:36:35  #14

;)

01-4-2016 20:17:14  #15

There will be a few of you who'll think I've flipped, but for a long time, I had off and on thought of constructing a case big enough to carry a standard typewriter like a portable.  It would certainly have to be made heavier than an ordinary suitcase, but about the same size.  I would use either one-inch boards or one inch plywood.  I would drill holes on the bottom to accomodate the bolts that would fasten the machine down to the base (most of the standard typewriters I've come across have a way to bolt them down to one of those special fold-away typewriter desks, and I could use the same bolt-holes to fasten the machine to the base of the case).  Of course, the main drawback I always come to is that this thing would weigh too much for the average person to carry in one hand (I could probably do it, but then I am fairly large).  Still, I thought it would have been a neat idea.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

01-4-2016 23:11:54  #16

That the weight would be problematic is probably an understatement. There are some here who already struggle to carry a standard - and that's with both arms. By adding a case made of plywood and all the required hardware to support the machine, it would not only be more cumbersome to carry, but also make the machine a lot less portable. Even if you were to add wheels and turn it into a typewriter transporter, woe would be the person who has to manage a few flights of stairs with it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-4-2016 03:06:24  #17

I have transported a few standards across London in suitcases - Royal HH, an SG1, my lovely Adler that I sold... If a suitcase is the right size - and has wheels - why build a box? I padded well with lots of old blankets, wrapped the machine in towels, and of course was v careful over things like kerbs. But great for tubes, buses... 

I say 'did' - I've now got the SG1 and the SG3 and no room for any more standards! Though if a Lexikon popped up near me for cheap I would definitely be hearing that siren call...

02-4-2016 11:18:26  #18

KatLondon wrote:

I have transported a few standards across London in suitcases...

I would love to seen that! Even better, to have discretely videotaped the expressions on people's faces as you unzipped your luggage in a subway car to check on how the standard was surviving its journey.

KatLondon wrote:

I say 'did' - I've now got the SG1 and the SG3 and no room for any more standards!

And the good news is that with those two under your wing, you don't need any more standards... 

KatLondon wrote:

Though if a Lexikon popped up near me for cheap I would definitely be hearing that siren call...

From a design standpoint well worth owning, but in terms of performance and feel, I think you'd be greatly disappointed.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-4-2016 16:31:56  #19

Hey!!!  Great idea!!  So simple, why didn't I think of that before!"  But I will say this:  I was once an instructor at a night school and I lugged my books, graded papers and papers to be graded with this small, foldup dolly.  Maybe if I just got a soft bag, or duffel bag, and whenever I needed to, put the whole works atop of this dolly (it's got fairly heavy wheels for its size) and I could transport them that way.  For that matter, I wouldn't even need the case on a nice day.  Thanks, Uwe and KatLondon.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

06-4-2016 10:04:28  #20

Uwe wrote:

KatLondon wrote:

I have transported a few standards across London in suitcases...

I would love to seen that! Even better, to have discretely videotaped the expressions on people's faces as you unzipped your luggage in a subway car to check on how the standard was surviving its journey.

I've found that if you go anywhere with a typewriter it always starts a conversation. I often end up in a cafe inspecting some new purchase that I've just collected in person from an eBay seller, and invariably someone leans over from a nearby table and says, 'Um - excuse me... is that a typewriter...?' Many fine conversations! Once the person who wanted to talk was the cafe manager and I got the tea for free.

Board footera