You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-4-2016 09:20:43  #1

Portables in cases - keeping track of them

If you have multiplie portable typewriters that live in their cases (for one reason or other), how do you keep track of them? Do you have a luggage tag on the handle of the case? Do you put some other label on the case or do you just hope that you will remember each machine by the distinctive qualities of the case?

This occurred to me after I moved some machines to a bookshelf in their cases so the furnace repairman and my dad wouldn't trip over them.  It will also make vacuuming a little easier.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

04-4-2016 09:59:57  #2

Re: Portables in cases - keeping track of them

None of my portable cases look similar, so it's quite easy for me to tell one unit from another.  I just remember what's in each case and where the case is stored.  Nice and easy.

04-4-2016 13:42:48  #3

With so many identical travel cases, and situations where the same case was used by more than one manufacturer, I label each one for quick identification. My local office supply store sells 45 mm x 28 mm hang tags in boxes of 100 for around $5, and I record the typewriter's year, make, model, and serial number on each one.

[img]http://www.vorg.com/typers/Storage(1).JPG[/img] 
[img]http://www.vorg.com/typers/Storage(2).JPG[/img]

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-4-2016 16:48:32  #4

Oh dear, Uwe, there's one in that pile that reminds me of my late lamented Alpina... <sob> Nice pile though! Some very familiar and others I don't recognise. 

I think I just kind of know what's in all my cases. Space is at such a premium here that I couldn't have a pile like this one, they are all either in a bookcase or on top of the book case or under my desk or under the bed I'm pretty adept at the storage solutions - if you didn't already know, you'd never guess there were 30 typewriters in my living room. But no, not labelled. I should do that...

04-4-2016 18:14:19  #5

This is going to be the summer of the great reorganization of my home - at least I keep promising myself that. My plan is to have all of my machines in one location, and organized in a manner that it would only take a minute to locate and pull out a specific model. At the moment it's very much a nightmare to find a machine in a timely fashion.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-4-2016 22:03:38  #6

Sitting side-by-side it can get confusing, although I can usually tell one brand's case from another (e.g., '30-'40 Royals and '50 Underwoods for example). To identify specific machines, I use a folded 3x5 index card attached through the case handle using a thin cable tie. I put the following info on the blank side of the card: manufacturer, model name, serial number, and other clarifying info such as color, year, or other distinguishing characteristics (e.g., a "rest" key on my Corona Model 3). For multiple examples of the same machine I add a #1, #2, etc. to the card. I also add a black dot to the upper corner of the card signifying that I have a photo of it in my collection photo album. And having just moved my collection from the U.S. East Coast to West Coast, labeling them certainly help me account for them when checking to see if any were damaged, thankfully none were.

06-4-2016 05:14:52  #7

I think I too need to label the ones I have despite only having a few.  I could have sworn I had only 4 (and I even said so in my intro post).  But yesterday, I spied in an inaccessible part of my shelf (long story...), a black case for a portable that I don't remember having.  So now I'm racking my brain trying to remember what it could be.

One thing--and a related "Hello!" to member RayM above--I'm pretty sure I bought it in Astoria, Oregon, in one of its many antique shops.

06-4-2016 08:46:49  #8

I would love to have enough typewriters to need labeling.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

06-4-2016 09:14:41  #9

Just you wait, Nathan. It's depressing when you have three the same and two of them are broken and you know nobody's going to do anything about it except you... I could just have some labels that say BROKEN on them! 

Board footera