You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-4-2016 04:40:53  #1

Bulk ribbon?

Just wondering if there is such a thing as "bulk typewriter ribbon".  Maybe 4 or 5 regular spools' worth in a big reel.  

A couple of my typewriters need a new ribbon.  They all have their correct spools.  So (naively), I'm thinking that it could be simplest and cheapest to wind in some new ribbon onto the existing spools.  

I could buy individual new spools of ribbon, but it seems that all that packing and shipping could be eliminated if there were such as thing as a big reel of ribbon.

Aside:  is it uncouth to replace a ribbon that was originally black and red with one that is just black?  I'm not sure that unless one was an accountant, that anyone needs more than just black type.

06-4-2016 05:18:31  #2

Re: Bulk ribbon?

Yes, there is only one place that I know of.  It is Baco Ribbon.  They don't have a website, but you can email:bacoribbon@sbcglobal.net

Or you can call. http://www.yelp.com/biz/baco-ribbon-and-supply-ballwin

If you call you will probably talk to Carol.  She is nice and will help you figure out what you need and how much it will cost. 

I got a bulk roll of cotton black ribbon.  It was $55.  I calculated how many average normal ribbons it would make, but I can't remember what I came up with.  It was a good buy though, I do remember that. If I was to order again, I think I'd go with the nylon rather than cotton though.

06-4-2016 10:12:50  #3

fingertapper, it will be substantially more than $55 for you. Factor in the terrible exchange rate, shipping, duty and taxes, and possibly a small brokerage fee. It's still worth it if you go through a lot of ribbon, but otherwise buying generic ribbon locally is the best route to go. Keep in mind how long ribbon lasts; I've been testing this on one machine and so far I'm over 400 pages (some 120,000+ words - double spaced lines) and the ribbon is still providing a nice dark impression.

As for the colour choices, I've never bought black and red ribbon, and I always replace it with just black ribbon because once the top half is used up I can just flip the spools upside down (providing the machine uses generic spools) and start all over again.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-4-2016 14:21:24  #4

Oops, sorry.  Didn't notice fingertapper was in Canada.  Yeah, probably not economical.

06-4-2016 14:43:44  #5

Spazmelda wrote:

probably not economical.

When the U.S. and Canadian dollar were on par, it was a smart way to go - providing of course you go through a LOT of ribbon (I've gone through about 800 yards in the past three years). At the moment the exchange is terrible and I don't order anything from the States any longer because of the large premium you pay. Shipping, and all the customs stuff also pile onto the cost. Bulk makes sense if you have a lot of machines, and you use them all the time, but for a modest collection that gets periodic use, you're right that it isn't very economical.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-4-2016 15:23:37  #6

I was just looking at shipping, and it looks like I could ship a 2 lb package to Canada for $15.50 first class.  Would customs have to be paid on that, or is it just a thing that businesses have to pay? I don't know anything about customs really.  I know that my daughter got some Copic markers that we accidentally ordered from Japan, and I think they had to go through customs here.  Shipping was cheap though.

I guess I could google...

06-4-2016 16:01:47  #7

The delivery method sometimes makes a big difference in terms of customs. For example, if you use any of the major couriers such as UPS or FedEx, you WILL get nailed for a brokerage fee (usually $10) and you will end up paying the customs fees, which is local sales taxes and import duties. On the other hand, items sent through the originating country's postal service have a 50/50 chance of showing up at your door without any extra fees at all. Companies such as Baco (I have used them in the past, but it became too expensive for me) have to do everything above board, and I think that the last time I ordered from them the cost of the ribbon was doubled by the time it reached my door after all the other charges were added in. I should dig out the receipts to make sure.

An individual person could technically send something labelled as a "gift" and it should avoid any extra charges, but it's something a reputable company would never do as it could cause them a lot of trouble since it's a form of fraud. Pretty much everything I receive from China is labelled "gift", which says a lot about about the inequity of competing with the Chinese.

07-4-2016 00:51:21  #8

Thanks for the advice from the seasoned vets.  

For us Canadians, I'm finding that a generic ribbon from a big box office supply place is reasonably priced.  And so I plan to go this route.  

(Searches through Amazon and eBay didn't come up with anything that is cheaper when viewed from the bottom line, including shipping and exchange rates.)

07-4-2016 12:23:09  #9

I'm sure you have a Staples in your area. Some stores actually stock the ribbon ($10), and if not you can order it through them and still get it for the same price. When I had a reasonably sized collection it was the most cost effective solution available to me at the time.

07-4-2016 16:20:12  #10

I usually get ribbon cartridges for dot matrix printers (about $15.00 each) from Office Depot.  I can make one or two ribbons from a cartridge.  I wind it until I see the diagonal splice (and experience a sore finger and thumb), cut it there and wind it onto some old spools, and I usually come out pretty good.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera