You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-4-2016 00:09:45  #1

Help! Keys will not depress when shifted

I have a Corona No. 4 in beautiful condition with one weird issue.  When the carriage is shifted to type in uppercase, I can only depress the keys about halfway (all of them are behaving the same) and not type.  It works flawlessly otherwise and there is no problem typing in lowercase.  I have looked and looked and cannot figure out what is causing this to happen.  The carriage does shift, it is only the keys not working when it is shifted.
Ideas??
Please and thank you!

10-4-2016 06:09:59  #2

Re: Help! Keys will not depress when shifted

Can you manually push the keys while its shifted? (Pull the type bar)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

10-4-2016 23:04:50  #3

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Can you manually push the keys while its shifted? (Pull the type bar)

Nope.

11-4-2016 22:42:48  #4

Anybody else have any ideas?

11-4-2016 23:40:41  #5

First of all, I'm not an expert but testing and logical thinking have helped in repairs. Sometimes days of scratching my head with my dirty fingers. My first thought is, since you can type in lowercase. I would look at the underside and take note of all moving parts when pressing a key(s) in lowercase. Then use the caps lock,  pressing key(s) and see what isn't moving in comparison to the lowercase movement. Perhaps something in the carriage is obstructing the type slugs when in the higher position?

Good luck! Also, I would head over to the Yahoo Typewriter Group if you can't resolve this issue. Between this board and the yahoo board, there's a lot of knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Thank Goodness for their kindness and advice.

12-4-2016 18:23:51  #6

igotztowrite wrote:

First of all, I'm not an expert but testing and logical thinking have helped in repairs. Sometimes days of scratching my head with my dirty fingers. My first thought is, since you can type in lowercase. I would look at the underside and take note of all moving parts when pressing a key(s) in lowercase. Then use the caps lock,  pressing key(s) and see what isn't moving in comparison to the lowercase movement. Perhaps something in the carriage is obstructing the type slugs when in the higher position?

Good luck! Also, I would head over to the Yahoo Typewriter Group if you can't resolve this issue. Between this board and the yahoo board, there's a lot of knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Thank Goodness for their kindness and advice.

Thanks.  I have certainly tried to see what was not functioning already but am still stumped.  I do not want to start dismantling it if I can help it as that would probably create other issues.   Maybe I will try another forum.

13-4-2016 09:33:09  #7

I took a look at my Corona 4. I can simulate the symptom - the typebars only move about halfway in their travel - when I reach the right margin stop at the end of the line. Perhaps something is amiss, where the margin stop mechanism is being activated with the carriage in the shifted position.

~Joe

13-4-2016 23:03:44  #8

JoeV wrote:

I took a look at my Corona 4. I can simulate the symptom - the typebars only move about halfway in their travel - when I reach the right margin stop at the end of the line. Perhaps something is amiss, where the margin stop mechanism is being activated with the carriage in the shifted position.

~Joe

Thanks Joe!  I will check it out.

Board footera