You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-7-2013 09:52:26  #1

Help with my Olympia Model 8

I got this wonderful typewriter, now I just have to learn how to use it. I don't know typewriter related vocabulary very well so I made a picture to help us. Also, the keyboard is in Finnish, so seeing the buttons in question is probably vital.

http://tathe.org/ihmetykset.jpg (I had to make it fairly large so that you can see it clearly enough. Too large to directly attach to this post.)

Firstly, is that Model 8 to begin with?

A - At some point the carriage stops moving while I type. Pulling this lever seems to reset the spring system that pulls the carriage. There's also another lever that moves horizontally when I pull the first lever. What are the actual functions of these levers and how can I set the typewriter so that I can just keep writing?

B - This button says POIST, which could be abbreviation for several words, my first guesses would be delete or deletion. I have been unable to understand the function of this button because I don't understand the function of the flaps it alters either. What does that button do?

C - It says TAB. I know what tabulator does on a modern machines, but what's the function here? How do I use it?

D - This button says REUN and my only guess is that it's short for return. It sounds a bell, but why? Nothing else seems to happen. How to use this button correctly?

E - This one says ASE II, which tells me absolutely nothing. I'm also unable to figure out the intended usage. When I press it with another letter, it locks down and is released with the button with arrow pointing east. What is it for?

Another issue I have been having is the bell. Is there a way to change when the bell sounds? I know how to set the... tabulators? (Translator isn't helping me at all right now, the boundaries where the machine writes.) But with standard A4 paper the bell sounds way too late. To my understanding the purpose of the bell is to let the writer know that the line is nearing it's end, so at the moment the bell is next to useless.

Last edited by tatte (06-7-2013 09:53:21)

06-7-2013 10:43:32  #2

Re: Help with my Olympia Model 8

Hi. 

I'll try and answer your questions. 

A. I'm fairly sure that button is the MARGIN RELEASE button. Pressing it disengages the right margin, allowing you to override the margin and keep typing up to the end of the carriage. 

B. No idea. 

C. That's the tabulation-key. You set your tab-stops at the back of the typewriter. Pressing that key causes the carriage to jump to a preset tab-stop on the carriage-rail. Useful for indenting and suchlike. 

D. & E. No idea. 

To work the bell properly, you have to understand how to operate the margin-stops on your typewriter. Margin-stops are NOT tab-stops, and tab-stops are NOT margin-stops. 

The margin-stops are the two adjustable stop-clips or sliders on the carriage-rail. There's a LEFT margin-stop, and a RIGHT margin-stop. 

The LEFT stop will stop the carriage when you push it back to start a new line. This makes the carriage stop at the area of the page where you want to start typing each line. 

The RIGHT stop will stop the carriage moving along as you type, and reach a particular part of the page. The RIGHT stop also triggers a little, spring-loaded hammer inside the typewriter. When the stop flips the hammer, it rings the typewriter-bell. The bell indicates you have *X* spaces to go before the carriage's movement is stopped by the right margin-stop. 

To adjust WHEN this happens (I.E. when the bell rings), you need to slide the RIGHT margin-stop to the left, until it's at a spot which you're comfortable at. Usually, once the bell rings, you have SIX KEYSTROKES (including spacebar) before the carriage is stopped by the right margin-stop. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

06-7-2013 11:24:39  #3

Thank you for your reply. Your insights to the tab-stops explained so much of something I didn't have the slightest glue before.

Now that I'm starting to understand the tab-stops, I was able to figure out that the ASE II button sets and POIST button removes tab-stops. So only REUN button remains mysterious, along with the A levers.

The levers indicated by A are not margin release. I so wish I had the vocabulary to explain things with their own names, but I hope we can manage with me using general terms.

There's the wheel that winds a string and that string pulls the carriage. That system sometimes stops pulling in middle of a line. At that point you can still pull the carriage back to the right, but the wheel doesn't rewind the string if you move the carriage to the left.

It seems that there's some connection with the ribbons, the whole mechanism is somehow geared together, unlike in any other machine I have seen, where this wheel+string system is fully independent and applies constant pull. Note however that the wheel does have a spring inside of it, it applies pull unless the gear system prevents it from doing so (even then the gears allow it to release more string, just not rewind it, so this seems somewhat intentional function).

Now the problem is that this mechanism engages apparently at random. I don't know if it's a problem related to the ribbons, or if there's just a certain way this machine has to be used. Alone everything works fine, but when I start to type, the pull eventually disappears and the gear has to be released with the lever.

06-7-2013 20:01:56  #4

The wheel and string is the MAINSPRING and DRUM with the DRAWBAND (also called a drawstring). It's what pulls the carriage along as you type. 

Every typewriter should have a carriage-release lever or switch or button. When you press it, it allows you to adjust the position of the carriage and the page.

Without the typewriter in front of me to fiddle around with, I don't think I can give you more information. But I'm glad that you found out at least what SOME of the stuff does!!

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

06-7-2013 20:18:53  #5

Hi
Can be a little help, perhaps; I think the language of this machine's keys is Finnish, which I have only a few words of myself, but an inquiry along those lines may get you somewhere.

Perhaps you can find a Finnish typewriter forum on line?

Last edited by beak (06-7-2013 20:21:03)

Sincerely,
beak.

06-7-2013 20:58:14  #6

Beak, you can barely find an ENGLISH typewriter forum online. In fact I think this is the only one! I don't know about a Finnish one. 

That said, I would like to also add, that it is a beautiful machine. Olympias are wonderful. 

07-7-2013 02:57:31  #7

I'm Finnish so I knew it's in Finnish (like I noted in the original post). However I'm impressed if you figured that out just by looking at the keyboard. And like Shangas said, I was lucky enough to find this forum. Although maybe in time I have brainwashed enough of my friends to be able to set up a forum with them...

Now that I started thinking the REUN button again, my initial thought that it was short for RETURN was silly and misguided. Why would they name only one of the buttons in English. So I started thinking again, and realized that it's short for some border-related word. Turns out it's a margin-release Shangas already mentioned.

The typewriter has the normal carriage release lever in the carriage. The lever indicated by A doesn't move the carriage, it merely releases some sort of lock from the drawband mechanism. When the "lock" is engaged, you can still feel the resistance the mainspring gives if you pull more drawband out, the drum simply isn't allowed to rewind it back clockwise.

Thank you for the words! I'm probably soon able to talk more about typewriters in English than I am in Finnish (and that's okay because there's so few people in Finland to talk about typewriters with).

Last edited by tatte (07-7-2013 02:59:13)

07-7-2013 06:44:36  #8

You're welcome, Tatte, and it's nice to have you here at our little community I'd love to hear how you came to own this typewriter. It's very pretty. 

07-7-2013 07:11:07  #9

I got it for free from my dad's workplace. It had been sitting in their archive for who knows how long, story tells that it was supposed to be given as a retirement gift for one of their employees, but that never happened. She retired years ago, so I don't feel bad for getting the machine instead. (Oh and it wasn't exactly in working condition when I got it.)

I had a part time job there a few years ago, so the boss knew personally to whom the machine was going. That probably helped a little bit too, or so I like to think. Not that I'd undervalue my dad's major and undoubtably critical role.

Last edited by tatte (07-7-2013 07:12:57)

07-7-2013 08:36:23  #10

tatte wrote:

I'm Finnish so I knew it's in Finnish (like I noted in the original post)........................

OUCH!  How stupid of me to miss that - thought I was being so clever too. 

Tervetuloa!

The mysterious A lever: 
The only reason to lock the spring drum I can think of would be to prevent it from turning while you are replacing a broken drawband, but why such a thing should be on the front of the machine I can't imagine - so perhaps this is wrong.  And you say the mechanism seems related to the ribbon - so perhaps its function is to reverse the direction of the ribbon - some older machines did not reverse the ribbon automatically.

Do you feel that this lever is working as intended or do you think that some fault has occured?  We must get to the bottom of this!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera