You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-4-2016 18:37:33  #1

Pin blocking carriage of Kolibri Luxus

Hi,
this is the last remaining serious issue of my Kolibri Luxus: there is a pin on the carriage rail which makes the carriage stop mid-way. The pin can be retracted out of the way by pressing a special key that overrides the blocking of the keyboard at the end of the line. But this is obviously not a solution. The key is located at the top left of the keyboard. I don't have this key on my regular Kolibri, but I know it from my wonderful Alpina.

Please note that the typewriter is not as horribly dirty as it looks on the picture. Or I have to get new glasses.
My only idea is to just clip the pin away since the end that is in the way has no function, but it is more solid than it looks like. It is not a wire but actually seems to be steel, so no easy task. Also it is not possible to bend it out of the way.
What are your thoughts on this?

By the way, it is a shame how the paint is coming off of the backside of this supposedly "Luxus" model!

18-4-2016 12:19:32  #2

Re: Pin blocking carriage of Kolibri Luxus

automatenLand wrote:

...there is a pin on the carriage rail which makes the carriage stop mid-way.
 The pin can be retracted out of the way by pressing a special key that overrides the blocking of the keyboard at the end of the line... The key is located at the top left of the keyboard. I don't have this key on my regular Kolibri...

The key is the margin release, and the "pin" is part of the margin release system. Are you absolutely sure that this pin is blocking the carriage? I don't see any component on the carriage that could possibly come in contact with it, so either there's something on your carriage that shouldn't be there, or the pin is not the problem. Where is your right margin stop set? It sounds like the carriage is hitting the right margin, which is why pressing the margin release allows it to continue forward. Move the margin stop all the way to the right and see if the problem still occurs.

automatenLand wrote:

Please note that the typewriter is not as horribly dirty as it looks on the picture. Or I have to get new glasses. 

Cameras usually pick up more detail than we do! If it looks filthy in a photo, it really is that filthy.

automatenLand wrote:

My only idea is to just clip the pin away since the end that is in the way has no function, but it is more solid than it looks like. It is not a wire but actually seems to be steel, so no easy task. Also it is not possible to bend it out of the way. What are your thoughts on this?

That would be a terrible mistake! Manufacturers didn't install parts in machines that didn't have a function.And bending or clipping it would be the same (to me) as taking a screwdriver and gouging the paint on the ribbon cover; you would be intentionally damaging your typewriter. The part (pin) lifts the margin stop bar and is part of the margin release - please don't ruin your Gromina.

automatenLand wrote:

By the way, it is a shame how the paint is coming off of the backside of this supposedly "Luxus" model!

Luxus means that it's a deluxe model, not that it's impervious to wear and time. Your typewriter is over 50 years old, and it would still look brand new - IF it had never been used. It doesn't matter how well made something is, if it gets a lot of use, it will show signs of that use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-4-2016 15:32:34  #3

Uwe wrote:

The key is the margin release, and the "pin" is part of the margin release system. Are you absolutely sure that this pin is blocking the carriage? I don't see any component on the carriage that could possibly come in contact with it, so either there's something on your carriage that shouldn't be there, or the pin is not the problem.

First, thanks for helping me out with the terminology. Maybe I will make a picture of a typewriter with the most important terms in English and German, like in a dictionary.
Yes, I am sure it is the pin. You can see on the picture below how the outer case of the carriage is pushing the pin to the left for 2 spaces length until it finally stops.

Uwe wrote:

That would be a terrible mistake! Manufacturers didn't install parts in machines that didn't have a function.

Yes, I had the same thought. But I can't figure out where the pin should actually be.
@Uwe: I have seen that you have posted a Kolibri Luxus on the typewriter database. Do you still own it? Could you (or anyone else) by any chance post a picture of this exact spot so I can see how a correct margin release should look like?

Thanks,
Daniel

18-4-2016 15:48:55  #4

Daniel, the pin is in the correct position. What you need to look at, and repair/adjust, is the position of the carriage itself which is riding far too low and appears to be dragging on the case, as is evidenced by the damaged paint shown in the photo of your first post.

What is the type quality like? It could be that the bottom stop/bumper for the carriage (where it rests in the lowercase position) needs to be addressed.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-4-2016 16:10:49  #5

Just wondering, how far is the carriage sliding until its blocked? Almost all the way? In addition to margin release, it might be a backup thing to prevent the carriage from going off the typewriter.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

19-4-2016 10:11:50  #6

TypewriterGuy wrote:

In addition to margin release, it might be a backup thing to prevent the carriage from going off the typewriter.

The two photos in post #3 show the problem, which is the left carriage cap is coming in contact with a component of the margin release system. The mechanical blocks that are used to prevent the carriage from coming off its rails are positioned past the usable type area of a carriage and is something that would not cause a complaint about limited carriage travel.

20-4-2016 02:01:44  #7

Uwe wrote:

What you need to look at, and repair/adjust, is the position of the carriage itself which is riding far too low and appears to be dragging on the case, as is evidenced by the damaged paint shown in the photo of your first post.

What is the type quality like? It could be that the bottom stop/bumper for the carriage (where it rests in the lowercase position) needs to be addressed.

You are exactly right, Uwe. The carriage was too low and I didn't notice it. I found 2 screws at the bottom of the machine which adjust the heigth. They were already deep inside the case. I adjusted them so the carriage just avoids the pin. The screw nut then hardly grips the screw nut, but it works.
However, the upper and lower case letters are badly misaligned then and the types don't even reach the black part of the ribbon (so it's red or white only).

I wanted to play around with all 4 type alignment screws, but I cannot get the screws loose for the alignment of the upper case. Have to get proper tools first. What a bummer! What I noticed is that the screws for the upper alignment are also in an 'extreme' position (= nearly completely screwed out). So I am wondering, maybe there is something seriously wrong with the machine (wear etc.)

My other Kolibri works like a charm. But nearly all of the mechanics are totally different compared to the Luxus version.

Ok, anyway, thanks for your great help! I learned already so much about typewriters....
I guess I will open a separate thread for type alignment once I get the proper tools.

Thanks,
Daniel

15-7-2016 17:17:36  #8

Hi again, I tried to adjust all 4 screws to find the right position for the carriage, but no success. When I adjust the carriage high enough to pass the pin, the letters on the paper are totally out of line (e.g. I can only write in red, not in black anymore). See attached pic.
I have been looking for something like a bottom stop/bumper, which was mentioned by Uwe, but the carriage seems to be falling right on the 2 bottom screws for the line adjustment. No bumper to address here
These 2 screws have to be screwed in quite deep into the case in order for the carriage to pass the pin. Any more ideas?

This is the position of one the screws (bottom of the machine):

30-8-2016 18:04:26  #9

Hi guys,
I am sorry to say that but I am giving up on this machine. I guess it is too broken for my limited skills and I spent too much time on it already.
If you need it for spare parts, you can have it for 10 Euros. I paid 30 for it. Please note that I don't want to ship it overseas because of the hassle involved. Honestly, I don't think it's worth shipping around the world. Ideally, someone picks it up here in Frankfurt.
Otherwise, I will put it on Ebay as machine with a defect in about one week's time.

What a sad ending...

30-8-2016 18:06:56  #10

One more picture:

Board footera