You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-4-2016 02:28:49  #1

What are the options for getting new parts for typewriters? 3-D?

In the recent acquisitions thread, tojeem mentioned that he bought a typewriter with a missing platen know.

What can one do about something like this?  

I have an Underwood 6 with a broken right platen knob.  It's still there but for some reason, maybe a fall, a big chunk is missing from it.  Sometimes I idly think:  "how could I fix it"?

I suspect that parts for pretty much every typewriter are no longer available.  Is this right?

I could always try to find a donor typewriter.  But that seems to be a lot of work and expense (think of even the shipping) for just one part.

A wild thought:  Is there an affordable 3-D printing service for a plastic part like this?  Or would the setup cost be too high for a one-time thing?  

And would the plastic of something that is printed in 3-D be too soft for the high-torque forces such as that experienced by a platen knob?

19-4-2016 06:06:40  #2

Re: What are the options for getting new parts for typewriters? 3-D?

I remember reading a post in Scott Kernaghan's blog on 3D printed typewriter parts and his adventure in designing a carriage return lever for a Remington noiseless. Here's the link:

http://filthyplaten.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/mystery-part-or-six-million-dollar.html
http://filthyplaten.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/thoughts-on-3d-printing-typewriter.html

There are a fair few companies offering 3D printing services around though I do not know how much it cost to print the parts.

As long as you select a material with sufficient tensile strength to make the part, I don't think that your printed plastic parts would deform when subjected to torque. The only problem of 3D printing is that the end result somewhat brittle and needs to be cured (left in an oven at a high temperature over a period of time) to improve its toughness.

19-4-2016 06:55:13  #3

Uhh, I dont know if you guys know, but I have a 3d printer...... Thats works just as good as those (Well, at least pretty close) to those companies... And not to mention its a lot cheaper...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

19-4-2016 06:56:11  #4

Oh, and a 3d printed knob would be perfectly fine UNLESS you want it to be hollowed for some reason. If you print it solid it should be like any other plastic thing.

Back from a long break.

19-4-2016 07:20:49  #5

Strangely enough, fingertapper, 3D printing was precisely my first thought when I saw the thing in the shop!

My brother had some figurines belonging to a rare board-game that he had 3D printed at the State Library of Western Australia near where I live. Turns out, all he needed to do was provide them with an existing figurine, which they scanned with a 3D scanner, then printed new copies based on that scan.

If you don't have an existing platen knob to scan, I know the library can work with 3D files formats. I've often thought of trying that open-source 3D modeling software (which is hard to use, but 100% cost-free) called Blender. Or if that's too daunting, I'm sure an online 3D designer could be commissioned for cheaper than the cost of another typewriter.

Has anyone tried this before?

19-4-2016 07:22:43  #6

TypewriterGuy, have you used your 3D printer for typewriter parts? And if so, what's your process?

19-4-2016 07:33:57  #7

I, whenever I need new typewriter feet, have a flexible rubber like 3d printing filament. I design a close to original reproduction 3d file with some software, and print it. I have also 3d printed small little things for my Blickensderfer. Ialso wanted to start printing platen knobs for Bennetts, but nobody will give me the measurements I need!

Back from a long break.

19-4-2016 17:38:20  #8

We had a number of previous threads (topics) on 3D printing. The technology is there and there's no great mystery to it (my public library even has 3D printers available for use), but like so many tools in general it's all about how good you are with them in order to get professional results. There are other methods that can employed to reproduce parts too, especially if you have a sample available to work with, so it all depends on what you're trying to do.   

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-4-2016 06:24:51  #9

You know what? I dont think its possible to build a TYPE BAR typewriter, but an index one, such as a Simplex, IS possible. I think I might try... Hmmmm....

Back from a long break.

22-4-2016 06:25:22  #10

To print, I meant.

Back from a long break.

Board footera