You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-4-2016 17:57:01  #1

New Member with Question About Royal Quiet De Luxe

I have a 1953 Quiet De Luxe and I finally got a ribbon for it today.  I think I have it installed correctly but when I type the ribbon covers the words and I can't see what I typed.  Any suggestions?

Chad

20-4-2016 17:59:38  #2

Re: New Member with Question About Royal Quiet De Luxe

20-4-2016 18:07:38  #3

Hehe, I saw that hummer license plate....

Anyways, I dont have a QDL, but I think that that MIGHT be normal. It may be slightly out of alignment, but I dont know.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

20-4-2016 18:11:56  #4

No, that's not normal.  Does the ribbon move up at all when you type?

It may be that the part that slides up and down just needs to be cleaned and maybe a tiny bit of oil down in there.  Or it may be that something is bent. Or the mechanism that links it to the typing action might be messed up somewhere.

Easiest to start with is cleaning and seeing if that frees it to move up and down.

20-4-2016 18:14:59  #5

Yes, I thought it was a funny license plate. 

The ribbon does move up and down some when I type.  I'll start cleaning.  Is there any guide on how to get it clean?

Thanks,
Chad

20-4-2016 19:06:47  #6

Not really specifically to that model. All you have to do is switch the ribbon color selector to red (I think theres a little lever on the front of your model), and lift up on the vibrator the highest it can go, and with a wet q tip (Try and use degreaser!) wipe the front and back of the sliding part of the vibrator. Move it up and down, and try typing.

Back from a long break.

20-4-2016 19:30:35  #7

Thanks.  I figured that out sort of and am trying to clean it now.    I wiped it down with some Q-Tips and added some gun oil.  I'm going to see what kind of degreaser I have. 

Chad

20-4-2016 19:40:46  #8

I tried using some alcohol wipes (all I had on hand) and it didn't really do any thing.  I guess I need to get some supplies and give this thing a good cleaning to get all the old oil out of it.

Thanks for all the help.

Chad

20-4-2016 20:08:58  #9

Did it help any?

Back from a long break.

20-4-2016 20:19:48  #10

I just checked my 1939 QDL, which is pretty much the same as in your picture. Your ribbon guide appears to be not retracting properly to its fully down position. It may be hung up because of grime or the return spring may not be doing its job for some reason. You can move the guide manually by placing fingers on either side and lifting it up to the impression position and then letting it spring back to the down position.
I noticed with mine that just using it regularly (after it had sat unused for umpteen years) has resolved some of its initial problems like that. 

Board footera