You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-5-2016 19:29:01  #1

Throwing and Dragging

I remember buying a typing book from a used book store back when I was in junior high.  It was a Gregg Typing that was copyrighted 1955.  Among other things, it outlined how to "throw" a carriage: "Take your left hand, bring your fingers together as if you were going to Karate-chop something, twist your hand leftward on your wrist, bring your index finger to the carriage lever, and with a quick snap, twist your wrist to the right, and the carriage will vertically space and land without too much or too little force at the beginning of the next writing line."  I can only paraphrase, since it was so long ago I had that book, but it read a lot like that.  Make like you're going to salute with the wrong hand, snap that wrist and with just the right English, you can land that baby gently to the next line.  Wow!  I remember practicing over and over and over ad infinitum so that I wouldn't skitter the typewriter over three inches to the right, or have to use the backspace one or two times to get it completely to the left of the page. 

Lately, since I have been a little skittish about breaking something returning a carriage too hard, I became a carriage "dragger."  That's someone who puts his left hand (his right finger, if he owns an older L. C. Smith, or Remington, and maybe a few others), and does not leave that lever until the carriage is right there on the next writing line.  And even in this category, there are people who do this fast, while others do it slow.  I'm somewhere in between, given whatever typewriter I'm using and to what degree I want to protect it. 

So which are you?  Are you a carriage "thrower," or a carriage "dragger?"  If you're a carriage "dragger," how slow is your drag?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-5-2016 23:21:09  #2

Re: Throwing and Dragging

It depends on which machine I am using.  I'd say that most of the time, I would be a dragger.  This is especially the case for the ultra-portables, and the right side carriage return lever.  On the standards with the machines with the return lever on the left, I might be closer to a thrower with the standards if I get into a groove while writing.  Probably more of a dragger with the portables.  Of course, this doesn't apply to the electrics.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

08-5-2016 00:13:33  #3

I drag. After watching the naval training video, footage of the old typing contests, and reading various old training materials and tips, I really wanted to throw, and have tried occasionally on my KMM to get the technique down, but I cannot get the amount of force right. My carriage might not have the proper amount of smoothness and tension to accomplish this technique, as the amount of force required to throw my machine to hit the first space without slamming or falling short is an extremely slim target--like trying to get a golf ball to stop perfectly on the lip of the cup from twenty feet without falling in. I am not sure if it is suppose to be easier and it is my machine, or if this is a kung fu thing that would require years of practice. I would like to learn to do it, but I can't stomach messing up my main machine with my poor technique; I have only one other standard, and it is much older and not really something I would do heavy typing on. Honestly, my typing is not fast enough to warrant the one second gain of throwing the carriage--at least not now.

08-5-2016 02:58:57  #4

I had never heard of throwing before, and it sounds like a showy speed typing technique which has little significance for the average typist. Even the instructions are showy and make it sound more complicated than it is.

If I owned the typewriters and I saw the typists throwing the carriage over - or worse, practicing throwing the carriage - I would ask them to use the machine the way the designer intended! If carriages were meant to be hurled then manual typewriters would have been equipped with carriage brakes.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

08-5-2016 03:56:47  #5

Of course, they *do* kind of have brakes...

These standard typewriters were made for office work, and the whole idea was that they were put to very heavy use. Maintenance guys used to come in and service them, the way they do now with computers.

The 'throwing' technique was taught in typing schools where people were being trained to work professionally on these big machines - so I'm inclined to think they knew what they were doing. Speed was half the point. A second saved per line might add up to another page an hour - & who knows, if you were in a typing pool, maybe that could even mean getting a raise.

Now our machines are elderly - they've had all the heavy use, and all the neglect, and instead of a nice service contract they have an amateur with a few Q tips, a screwdriver and a tweezer! But I have a feeling they're more or less fine... easy enough for us to be squeamish, our world is so much less *physical* nowadays.

08-5-2016 09:16:52  #6

Kat, that's a great insight that our world is less physical - I think I had it once before but it was time for a refresher insight. 

I am reminded of Innocents Abroad. Mark Twain tells some whoppers there but he is so matter of fact about some of their travelling arrangements that I feel they are veracious, and some of his days sounded like tough days in special forces training, while he only seems to think them worthy of note that that day was more than usually unpleasant! It does not seem to occur to him he's done anything beyond the average person. Regular people physically manipulated the world more and had a better feel for the limits of physical objects, as well as better physical skill, so things which might seem harebrained or dangerous now would have been in the ordinary compass of activity then. Got it.

I've thought about which machine I might practice carriage throwing on - an office machine, definitely, neither too rickety nor too highly valued... aha!  The Royal Empress came to mind and was dismissed because of its plastic arm extension as the last machine you would violently return the carriage on. But I have a second one with a broken arm! Woohoo! Pre-modified! I'm going to toss that puppy.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

08-5-2016 09:30:16  #7

Pre-modified! LOL.

08-5-2016 10:58:39  #8

KatLondon wrote:

Now our machines are elderly - they've had all the heavy use, and all the neglect, and instead of a nice service contract they have an amateur with a few Q tips, a screwdriver and a tweezer!

Yes, throwing made sense in an office pool where you had people typing furiously all day on machines that were regularly maintained and replaced, and the second per line saved added up to gains in efficiency. For me, I think it would be neat to be able to do it on occasion, just to be able to emulate the typing techniques of the day, but I am not typing mass amounts of copy and it would be silly for me to casually type to the end of the line and then throw the carriage. It does look awesome watching people do it though.

08-5-2016 17:03:45  #9

Repartee wrote:

I had never heard of throwing before, and it sounds like a showy speed typing technique which has little significance for the average typist. Even the instructions are showy and make it sound more complicated than it is.

If I owned the typewriters and I saw the typists throwing the carriage over - or worse, practicing throwing the carriage - I would ask them to use the machine the way the designer intended! If carriages were meant to be hurled then manual typewriters would have been equipped with carriage brakes.

Funny thing:  Electric typewriters, especially the big ones, do have brakes. 

08-5-2016 17:06:52  #10

Repartee wrote:

Kat, that's a great insight that our world is less physical - I think I had it once before but it was time for a refresher insight. 

I am reminded of Innocents Abroad. Mark Twain tells some whoppers there but he is so matter of fact about some of their travelling arrangements that I feel they are veracious, and some of his days sounded like tough days in special forces training, while he only seems to think them worthy of note that that day was more than usually unpleasant! It does not seem to occur to him he's done anything beyond the average person. Regular people physically manipulated the world more and had a better feel for the limits of physical objects, as well as better physical skill, so things which might seem harebrained or dangerous now would have been in the ordinary compass of activity then. Got it.

I've thought about which machine I might practice carriage throwing on - an office machine, definitely, neither too rickety nor too highly valued... aha!  The Royal Empress came to mind and was dismissed because of its plastic arm extension as the last machine you would violently return the carriage on. But I have a second one with a broken arm! Woohoo! Pre-modified! I'm going to toss that puppy.

Another funny thing:  Mark Twain was one of the first authors to use a typewriter.

Board footera