You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-5-2016 22:58:52  #1

Tower carriage issues

I got this typewriter a couple of days ago that looks great, everything seems to be there, and it types. The problem is the carriage wont go far enough to the left. I took it out of it's carrying case today and I think I might (big might as I don't actually know what I am doing. lol) have an idea as to what is stopping it. 

If you can see it, The little lever under the planten (?) knob hits the metal base when you are typing. There is a notch in the metal base that I am wondering if the lever is supposed to be hitting.

The position that the carriage is in on this picture is as far left as it will go right now. I am hoping that this is something that is fairly easily fixable as I seem to be in a no typewriter repair state. 
Thanks for any help that you can offer. 

05-5-2016 09:17:18  #2

Re: Tower carriage issues

Your description suggests that the carriage may be locked.  Can you move the lever in the upper left part of the keyboard? I am wondering if that isn't the carriage lock release.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

05-5-2016 09:48:27  #3

colrehogan wrote:

Your description suggests that the carriage may be locked. Can you move the lever in the upper left part of the keyboard? I am wondering if that isn't the carriage lock release.

I think that's the ribbon reversal lever?

Mintdee, I'm guessing that your Tower is a rebrand Smith Corona? Are you able to move the carriage to the right?  If so, that should automatically unlock the carriage centering lock. If not, you may have to do it manually after moving the carriage to the right. If the centering lever is stuck, it may just need a deep cleaning or unfortunately a possible repair. 

05-5-2016 11:27:51  #4

The lever located top left of the keyboard is the ribbon reverse and has nothing to do with the reported issue. 

Mintdee, the part that is hitting the carriage rail is the carriage lock. In your photo it is in the unlocked position, but it has been bent downward which is why your carriage is being stopped. That part should be parallel to the platen - not pointing downward - so it will clear the carriage rail.

My guess is that the lock was engaged and someone had tried to force the carriage to the left and as a result bent it. To fix it, you will need to move the carriage to the right, and use two needle nose pliers to bend it back into the proper position. Use one of the pliers to support the lever and prevent it from moving where it pivots on the carriage and the other plier to gently straighten the bent section (bend the tip of it upward).

The carriage lock is engaged by moving the carriage to the right, pressing down on the carriage release lever that is between the right platen knob and the carriage, and moving the carriage back until the lock lever fits into the slot that you can see in your photo, which is to the right of the where the lever is now.

It's a fairly simple repair that should only take a few seconds, but if none of this makes sense then just let me know and I'll try to post a few photos as visual aids. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-5-2016 12:00:05  #5

Ok. I think that I know what you are saying as far as bending it, I am wondering if you would be able to get a picture of how it is supposed to sit? I think that I know but I am afraid that I am going to bend it wrong and make it worse. 

Thanks a ton for your help.

05-5-2016 12:53:29  #6

Technically, the lever is actually called the Carriage Centering Lever and doesn't fully immobilize the carriage, but that was the system that Smith-Corona used at the time in conjunction with the machine's travel case.

Here are the photos that should help:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera