You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-7-2013 15:42:52  #1

What typewriter is this really?

I have a L.C. Smith & Corona but I think its a flat top sterling.. does that make sense? 

It is in maroon color

I have some pictures on my blog

http://aguywhotypes.blogspot.com/

Ciao!
Brian S
"Life in itself is simple, we choose the complexities in how we live it", me

23-7-2013 17:20:42  #2

Re: What typewriter is this really?

The button on the left is the margin-release. The button on the right is the ribbon-selector. Red, Black, Stencil. 

I'm pretty sure it's a Corona *Standard*. It looks pretty neat, although maroon is not my colour. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

23-7-2013 17:40:14  #3

How much are these worth?

Ciao!
Brian S

23-7-2013 17:53:34  #4

How many fish in the sea? It's almost impossible to say. If that typewriter were in Australia, you'd have ridiculous idiots asking $500 for it on eBay. If it was in America, you could probably sell it for $70.00. Value varies WILDLY depending on condition, geographic location, and who is trying to sell it, or buy it. I've seen vintage typewriters sell for $20, I've seen them with prices of $700 (not kidding). 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

23-7-2013 23:01:08  #5

Arrggghh. I got ripped!   I paid $200. And it could use a good cleaning!

Ciao!
Brian S

24-7-2013 02:33:45  #6

abstractsbybrian wrote:

Arrggghh. I got ripped!   I paid $200. And it could use a good cleaning!

I don't agree that you were ripped, because you paid what it was worth to you at the time - and (IMO) that means it was a fair price.  If I had had my heart set on it at the same time, I'd have paid 250.  Everything second-hand is worth exactly the amount that someone else is willing to pay.

Looks like a nice machine to me, and that colour is very much sought-after. This can only go up in value as time goes on, if well cared for.  If you like the machine, you did OK!

Last edited by beak (24-7-2013 02:34:49)

Sincerely,
beak.

24-7-2013 06:48:52  #7

With a quick look from the Typewriter Serial Number Database the name your machine responds to would appear to be Corona Sterling and it's year of birth seems be 1934.

That's a really beautiful typewriter. It has some of the charm and elegancy I have previously seen only on some desktop models.

24-7-2013 08:04:29  #8

Thanks, I do feel a bit better.. I have to say at the moment.. I was pretty excited.. it was listed on Ebay for $300 OBO.. so I came in real low at $100 which the seller countered at $200 and I took it!  So I was glad about that.. furthermore I did a little more research last night and a lot of them were $275-350 ish and a few at $500-700

so... overall not bad.. I love the color and the look.. so it's a keeper

Ciao!
Brian S

24-7-2013 11:26:53  #9

Typewriters that are finished in colours other than black and drab greys always command a higher price, so you would expect to pay more for a red Sterling of that vintage over a black one.

Given your location, I think you paid too much for the machine, but it doesn't matter as long as you learned something from the experience. As a new collector you will need some time to figure out the entire pricing thing, but before very long you'll know what constitutes a good deal and which machines are way overpriced. 

Most machines - the common models produced between the 1920s and 1970s - can be bought for under $50. To give you an idea, the average price I paid for each machine in my modest collection of 70 typers was $30. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-7-2013 03:09:03  #10

It's certainly a beautiful typewriter. For that price, I think you did well. 

Board footera