You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-5-2016 16:22:42  #1

Goodwill Keychopping

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Huge-Lot-of-Antique-Typewriter-Key-for-Crafts-29499948.html

Ugh. It appears this Goodwill store is keychopping now as well. "A couple got away from us as they were being cut," indicates that they did the chopping. They really need to leave this stuff alone, even if it is a trashed machine; the thrift store, out of all places, should be the place to buy a trashed machine.

07-5-2016 16:42:18  #2

Re: Goodwill Keychopping

Scabs the Keychopper strikes again!  Just my own thoughts:  I wouldn't think that Goodwill would bother with chopping the keys off of typewriters themselves.  They would, instead, be concentrating on more profitable items such as computers, tvs, stereos, and other electronics and getting these sold.  It could be that Scabs tried to sell these on the open market, failed, and just gave them to Goodwill to worry about.  From the end results I've seen of a keychop, it looks like it would take A LOT of work getting them off of a typewriter.  At least it wouldn't be worth it to me to try to get those kinds of keys off a typewriter just to sell for jewelry.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-5-2016 16:56:39  #3

TypewriterKing wrote:

It could be that Scabs tried to sell these on the open market, failed, and just gave them to Goodwill to worry about.

I am pretty sure Goodwill did it. In their item description they wrote: "A couple got away from us as they were being cut."

07-5-2016 19:00:07  #4

Hmmmm.  Must have been a slow day for Goodwill staff to be involved in this.  I wouldn't have thought they made that much money from chopped keys.  However, whatever, it is still tragic, and I'd be curious as to the whereabouts of the typewriter so I could see if it was otherwise repairable (again, I have wanted to find such a typewriter that I would have parts for and rescue it back to service--maybe with plastic keys, but it would be healed again).

07-5-2016 19:01:34  #5

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that the levers would be horribly twisted.  I would include that in the repair.  It would be a long, drawn out repair, but I have spent long hours repairing typewriters before--one for four days with a couple of catnaps in between.

07-5-2016 20:03:32  #6

Oh, this is going to sound macabre, but I zoomed into one of the pictures, and saw part of the keylevers still attached to some of the keys!  It reminded me of, and I almost can't say it, but it reminded me of a wounded dead animal.  I almost cried.

07-5-2016 21:27:11  #7

I assumed that keychoppers as a class were souls Calvanistically predestined to eternal fire so that reasoning with them would be futile and only provoke a mass chopping. When employees of Goodwill do this I might just entertain the idea that they could be educated and might become contrite!

Why not write some letters to their directors: if you don't abuse them and explain why it is wrong maybe they will make it a policy not to do this at their stores.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

07-5-2016 22:24:44  #8

Yes, and in addition, they can go back to selling whole typewriters again like they used to--only this time they can put them in those "Auction" displays.  I bought a Royal KHM that way from one such Goodwill.  They will make more money doing it that way than they would just selling the keys, and look at the man-hours they'd save.

07-5-2016 22:51:04  #9

TypewriterKing wrote:

they can go back to selling whole typewriters again like they used to--only this time they can put them in those "Auction" displays

They do sell whole typewriters, in both auction and in the store. I did not mean to imply that this was the standard practice at Goodwill. This is the first case I have seen on their auction site, and it was from one location. It does not appear to be a trend there...at least not presently.

08-5-2016 13:46:13  #10

That is a few hours' drive from me.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera