You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-5-2016 19:34:00  #1

Where Do You Prefer To Write?

http://imgur.com/dECE2GX

Ahhh, found its home in my office. Just got done setting it up for a typing session later tonight after dinner. I prefer dark, closed in areas. When I write during the day, I shut the blinds and listen to  background noise from here:

https://mynoise.net/

I can't write while listening to music. I prefer writing late into the night, but have to stop at a certain time due to the family heading into slumber. If I had a choice, I would write from 10 pm till 2 or 3 am.

I'm curious ... 
1) Where do you like to write?
2) Do you listen to music or any background sound?
3) Do you like to write during the day or evening?

09-5-2016 21:22:51  #2

Re: Where Do You Prefer To Write?

I don't like sitting at a desk, I prefer comfortable reclining patio or lawn chairs. I think it's because of all those moments when I have to stop and think between words, it helps my creative process to be in a relaxed posture.

Funny you should mention this subject, as I just yesterday posted episode 13 of my Typewriter Video series to You Tube, about lap-typing.

I agree with you about needing quiet. Music can be a distraction, although non-vocal, instrumental stuff like jazz is tolerable while writing. It's mainly vocals that are bothersome to me, as my brain will inevitably try to process the words being sung into some meaning, using up whatever little mental horsepower I have needlessly.

~Joe

09-5-2016 22:05:50  #3

Hi Joe, I write half of the time on my lap with my legs up on a couch or bed with a thin pillow under my legs or I use my large size lap desk similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-TBL-02869-Portable-Laptop-Handle/dp/B00FQK13XM/ref=lp_490924011_1_7?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1462848611&sr=1-7

Lap typing suits me better when I'm developing a character or a new scene and a must when I write poetry. My ultra portables are excellent for lap typing. The desk is use for structure writing and edits. More "work" related sessions.

I've seen your videos. Excellent! I'll have to take a gander at your lap typing one.

P.S. Love your man cave! Can you build me one so that I can type later in the evening without disturbing my sleeping family? 

09-5-2016 23:18:14  #4

igotztowrite wrote:

I'm curious ... 

1) Where there is a typewriter available
2) Sometimes
3) When there is a typewriter available

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

10-5-2016 07:18:36  #5

igotztowrite wrote:

I'm curious ... 

1) Anywhere
2) Yes
3) It doesn't matter.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

10-5-2016 11:26:12  #6

Are we talking about where you like to write using a typewriter? Because when it comes to using a fountain pen and paper, it's a completely different animal.

1. Mostly at my desk, or during the summer, at the patio table in my backyard. A more formal setting with proper typing ergonomics puts my mind and body in work mode and is far more productive than trying to type in a position or a place that becomes increasingly uncomfortable with every typed page.

2. Silence works for me, but I prefer music that is moody or otherwise powerful enough to create an emotional response. In my case that can be anything from Beethoven's Op. 80 Choral Fantasie to Dead Flag Blues by Godspeed You Black Emperor.

3. I'm far more productive in the evening, and work best during late night, early morning hours. There are far fewer distractions then, and I have far more energy to draw from. I can work during the day, previous jobs forced me to, but it's more difficult to me as it feels like I'm forcing creativity rather than just letting it flow naturally.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-5-2016 10:36:57  #7

1. At a desk. I was using a card table because it's lower than the usual desk, but I just got a desk with a typewriter well this week so we'll see how I like that.

2. I usually have some music playing. A lot of different genres, but especially opera. In the summer it's often a baseball game on the TV.

3. I much prefer to write in the daytime, but seldom get to. My evenings are generally devoted to wine and cats.

11-5-2016 12:54:42  #8

Uwe, you are correct.  I was responding within a few minutes of waking up.  Not a good idea. 

So, for number 1:  writing with a typewriter:  Standards: in the kitchen, either on the kitchen table, counter or a desk.  Portables/Ultraportables:  on my lap, on the coffee table or any of the surfaces mentioned for the standards.  

2) I like soundtracks, environmental music, and on occasion, some 80's music.

3)  If I wrote during the daytime (on a weekend or vacation), I would wake up a cat who would then be sticking his nose or a paw into my typewriter (while I'm using it).   So, during the rest of the time, it would be in the evening.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

12-5-2016 02:23:07  #9

Interesting settings and personal preferences. It's almost half past midnight here and I'm itchy to write. Due to the sound and my family sleeping, I'm on my laptop with earbuds in. I'm using Focus Writer with the typewriter sound option turned on whilst eyeing my typewriters. LOL

12-5-2016 17:01:35  #10

I have several places where I like to write:  My bedside desk; my dining room table; outside at a park at a picnic table.  I like listening to big band, jazz, some old classic country/western, anything with a beat, oldies from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's.  Time of day doesn't matter--just whenever the mood strikes me, or if I got a new "toy," my fingers begin to itch and I gotta scratch 'em on an old keyboard somewhere.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera