You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-5-2016 10:40:17  #1

Łucznik 1301 Carriage stuck

Hi guys. I recently have bought my first typewriter. It has been a polish typewriter "Łucznik 1301" with a leather case. It is portable typewriter. It was made in 1985.

The problem is that the carriage doesn't want to move by itself. I have to push it to left after typing each letter. I have found some pages of the instruction and I've read them. It says that I have to release a lock lever, but when I already have done it, the carriage still won't to move.

I also noticed that some screws block the carriage, but I don't know how to get over that.

Is there anyone who could find the solution for this? 

12-5-2016 12:19:58  #2

Re: Łucznik 1301 Carriage stuck

Is this the typewriter that you have?

I'm not familiar with the brand, so I don't know if it was designed and made in Poland, or if it was a private label typewriter with a customized case.

Regardless, since you can move the carriage manually we know it has nothing to do with the carriage lock. It sounds like the drawband or the mainspring might be broken. First question: When you press down on the carriage release lever, does the carriage want to move on its on to the left?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-5-2016 14:27:31  #3

This one you sent looks very similar to mine typewriter. It can even be the same model, but mine has shorter carriage.
When I release the carriage lever (left or right one), the carriage can easily move, but it stops in the central position. I will send a photo of that, but first I have to write some posts more before I can upload the photos. 
---
I am so sorry if will say something wrong. I've just started that hobby  

12-5-2016 16:30:51  #4

If you use the carriage release levers and the carriage stops when it is centered then the carriage lock might still be engaged. The lock aside, you didn't answer my question: When pressing the carriage release, does the carriage want to pull to the left on its own? If not, there's a problem with the drawband or mainspring. If it does, then we will need to move on to something else.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-5-2016 16:48:45  #5

Yes, it pulls to the left on its own, but always stops in the middle and doesn't want to go farther.
If there is something broken inside, am I able to repair it on my own? I don't have much experience with machines like that one

12-5-2016 18:21:40  #6

Okay, that's good news. You mentioned in your first post that you see two screws blocking the carriage. Could you post a few photos, one of the screws you're talking about and another of your entire carriage? You should also double check that the carriage lock in not engaged. It might be a small chrome lever under the carriage on the left side. Try moving it and see if the carriage will move past the center point.

14-5-2016 10:18:41  #7

It doesn't matter if the lever is pushed, because these screw is before a lock. I also found this spring. Is this a main spring?

14-5-2016 10:57:20  #8

After removing these screws, I can move the carriage from right to the left, but typewriter still can't do it on its own.

14-5-2016 15:16:51  #9

No, that isn't a mainspring. I'm not sure what that spring is for; is that what I can see in the photo above the red circle jammed into the side of the drawband drum? It's possible that it came from the escapement which would explain why the carriage won't advance. I assume it doesn't move whether you press a key or use the space bar? Never having seen a Lucznik typewriter in person I don't know what type of escapement it uses, so I might not be able to give you specific help in that area of the machine.

You mentioned screws, but I only see the one in the photo. Was there an identical one on the other side?

14-5-2016 15:46:22  #10

Yes, the second one was on the right side.

I remember that spring. It was on the metal gear when I was trying to find out what's wrong with the typewriter. 

We have solved only the problem with carriage. The main problem is that carriage won't move after typing any letter or space.

Board footera