You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-5-2016 19:28:19  #1

Poll: Solvent to clean out typebar slots?

Hi all!
Restoring some old typewriters.  (who here isn't...)
I know NOT to oil the slots for the type bars, but, if they are sluggish (just from being "old" and unused for awhile) what is the best solvent to use in your experiences: mineral spirits, naptha/lighter fluid, PB blaster, other?
I have heard they all work, just want a poll -- but I welcome extra advice as well.
Thinking I want something that evaporates dry so as not to attract dust in the future but that will liquify and flush out any old gummy oil someone in the past may have used and/or microscopic corrosion dust.  
Have heard not good to use alcohol d/t water content (?).
Maybe a 12-year-old scotch?
Thanks!

Solvent to clean out typebar slots

13-5-2016 20:36:36  #2

Re: Poll: Solvent to clean out typebar slots?

I've always used ethyl alcohol for cleaning. It's a good solvent for the tars in cigarette smoke that a lot of the older typewriters were exposed to, and it dries clean quickly.

13-5-2016 23:18:11  #3

I use denatured alcohol for the slots. I am not saying it is the best--a lot of people prefer and recommend mineral spirits--but it is currently my personal preference.

14-5-2016 14:37:21  #4

Why is PB Blaster even on the list, and who voted it?  PB Blaster is a penetrating oil not unlike WD-40, so unless it's an extreme case of a rusted typebar seized within the segment you should never have that stuff near those components. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-5-2016 18:12:18  #5

Uwe wrote:

Why is PB Blaster even on the list, and who voted it?  PB Blaster is a penetrating oil not unlike WD-40, so unless it's an extreme case of a rusted typebar seized within the segment you should never have that stuff near those components. 

And this is one reason i ask...
Thanks for the advice!

14-5-2016 18:13:44  #6

Since it is a poll (?) it doesn't let me edit the original post -- was trying to add Acetone as another of the options.

14-5-2016 18:15:29  #7

Gabby Johnson wrote:

I've always used ethyl alcohol for cleaning. It's a good solvent for the tars in cigarette smoke that a lot of the older typewriters were exposed to, and it dries clean quickly.

Thanks!  I have used it on old gummed-up Leica lens focusing threads before with great results.

14-5-2016 18:16:34  #8

SoucekFan wrote:

I use denatured alcohol for the slots. I am not saying it is the best--a lot of people prefer and recommend mineral spirits--but it is currently my personal preference.

Thanks!
Won't let me add alcohol to the poll (Guess a poll post can't be edited once posted -- makes sense, I guess.

26-5-2016 19:40:10  #9

Some more robust mechanics dip the entire machine in diesel fuel... or so I am told. I am also told that in the past some repair shops used gasoline, which has to be about the craziest thing I have heard because of the volatility and explosion hazard. Mineral spirits to the best of my knowledge are effectively gasoline with the most volatile stuff missing so would serve the same function. Me, I like to put the machines in a pressure vessel and compress methane to liquefaction for use as a solvent.

Just kidding. Though I bet liquefied methane is a killer solvent. 

Off topic, but I am struck by how even so-called high fuel prices are dirt cheap organic solvent prices. $4/gallon? Get outta town. Earth came with an essentially infinite supply of organic chemicals buried in the ground for our use, which is a very handy thing optional planet feature - essentially infinite that is if we stop squandering the damn stuff by burning it in air as fuel!  

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

26-5-2016 20:00:56  #10

I have used diesel fuel myself to clean typewriters for years.  It is a really good solvent and, contrary to popular belief, it has a high flash point.  I have on occasion used charcoal starter fluid.  A bit more solvent, quicker drying,  but also more flammable.  If you really have something stuck, some heated tranny fluid (automatic transmission fluid--I prefer Ford's Mercon 5.  It stinks like dead fish, but it sure does work) soaked into the joint overnight should loosen it.  As for PB Blaster and gasoline, stay away from anything that will melt a styrofoam cup at room temperature.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera