You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-5-2016 16:46:29  #21

Re: Poll: Solvent to clean out typebar slots?

colrehogan wrote:

I have been told by the local typewriter repair shop to not use rubbing alcohol for cleaning of typewriter parts.

Rubbing alcohol, like you get at Dollar General or a discount store, has some water content--that's why that stuff is so cheap.  All you'll have after you use that stuff is some rust to go with the gunk still in the slots.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

05-6-2016 19:39:01  #22

Re: Poll: Solvent to clean out typebar slots?

I moved this here from New Acquisitions, where it seems more logical...

TypewriterKing wrote:

Try some warm tranny fluid in there. I'll bet you it will be solvent enough to dissolve that tar and gum. You might need to leave it soak overnight, and then put some more in there and work each keys. ...I got the machine unstuck, though. Took a couple of days' work.

I was working the keys applying liberal amounts of mineral spirits to the segment, when the worst key of all finally came free and flew crisply as if it had never been stuck. And the next day I found that key was gummed up again! The positive side is that I apparently got the gunk soft enough to flow... very slowly.

I may try warm power steering fluid before warm tranny fluid first for the excellent reason that I have some - at room temperature at least. I will probably wear gloves - it's a chemical cocktail so potent it makes Love Canal look straight up!!   If that works I will try again to straighten the body - it took such a hit that work hardening is an issue: it doesn't want to bend back where it's already bent but someplace softer.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera