You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-5-2016 06:56:34  #1

LC Smith typebars gummed up after cleaning

I just acquired another LC Smith 8 that I am in the process of cleaning.
I put rubbing alcohol in the typebar bearings to clean the gunk out of them and make it type better which worked initially but after I let it sit overnight they are now all gummed up worse than before.
Did I do something wrong? Do I need to put oil in them?

My blog - Just Typewriters

16-5-2016 09:19:06  #2

Re: LC Smith typebars gummed up after cleaning

Hi,

Go through the cleaning process again, eventually all the gunk will get cleaned out and will not be able to re-set back where it was and cause the problem.
It can take a few goes to get rid of all of the old gummy stuff that has built up.

Cheers,
Alan.

16-5-2016 12:22:29  #3

What Alan said. With so much gunk, the first round of alcohol just dissolved it into a liquid, which redistributed itself in the linkages then hardened up when the alcohol evaporated. It would be ideal to be able to spray such solvents under pressure, forcing the gunk out of the crevices, but that could be problematic and also a fire hazard with any nearby ignition source. Best to go with multiple treatments, and try to get a brush into those crevices as much as you can.

~Joe

16-5-2016 13:04:45  #4

I have it working well now.
I talked to a longtime typewriter tech and he said that the L.C Smith machines need some oil in the bearings.
I did that and it loosened right up. Now don't go screaming at me to not put oil in that location but the L.C Smith uses ball bearings which need oil.

16-5-2016 14:48:16  #5

I agree with the others, it wasn't cleaned enough, and I completely disagree with using oil to free a non-moving part. Will it work? Sure, but it's often just a temporary solution and you now have dirty oil full of contaminants within those moving parts that you wanted to protect. Always clean parts so that they move freely on their own, and only then use a little oil as a lubricant and to help minimize wear. 

The Model 8 is different in that it doesn't have a traditional segment. Each typebar pivots on an individual typebar hanger, and although I've never taken one of these hangers apart, I have to question your claim that it swings on ball bearings. From what I can tell, the so-called bearing looks to be nothing more than the nonthreaded portion of a shoulder bolt, and if it was properly cleaned I don't see a need for oil there. Apparently L.C. Smith agrees. In the section titled "Oiling" the owner's manual for the machine specifies that only the escapement wheel bearing, platen ratchet detent roller, platen shaft, and paper release lever roller should be lightly oiled every two to three months.

It would be great to clarify the advice that you received from the typewriter mechanic. Surely he would have stressed to clean the parts thoroughly first, and when he mentioned oiling the "bearings", which "bearings" was he referring to. Did he actually specify that there were ball bearing in use?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-5-2016 19:08:45  #6

I guess I will go clean it better then with  rubbing alcohol.
How many times will I have to apply the alcohol?

17-5-2016 05:47:10  #7

I had one machine I had to flush the segment with naptha about 5-6 times to get them moving freely.  It can take a few times if they are really gunky!

17-5-2016 12:09:53  #8

mre12ax7 wrote:

I guess I will go clean it better then with  rubbing alcohol. How many times will I have to apply the alcohol?

As Kat suggested, you keep cleaning it until it's moving freely and smoothly. And I'd ditch the rubbing alcohol for mineral spirits.

I'm still curious about the bearings used in this model (thetypewriterman?), and I may have to start taking apart one of my machines to find out.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-5-2016 15:09:43  #9

I got all the dirt out now.
And yes there are ball bearings inside the typebars.
Very small ball bearings.

17-5-2016 16:13:28  #10

mre12ax7 wrote:

And yes there are ball bearings inside the typebars.

Are they in a race within the typebar holder, or between the typebar and the shaft of the bolt holding it to the holder? If they're in a race then I would think overtightening the bolt (if it's mechanically possible) would also cause the typebar to bind.

Board footera