You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-5-2016 08:22:35  #1

No, no; most of them must go!

Tonight I had a quick typing job to do.  I might have chosen from any one of over twenty machines, but the SM9 got the job.  It got the job last time too.  And the time before that, I think.

I now know that most of these machines have to be passed on - it's too much.  I never was a real collector, always principally a user.  

The amusing exercise of 'What would I keep?' becomes a reality.  That poser resolved itself in merely a few moments, and guess what: Olympia stays!
two SM9s
one SM4
one SG1.
oh - and my 1960s Alpina SK24. The 1950s model is a museum piece, and I shall find an appreciative owner for that no doubt.
Everything else goes to new homes in the following weeks.

I shan't abandon this lovely site, but 'recent acquisitions' will hear no more from me.  If temptation should strike, I hope someone here will be my Typewriters Anonymous buddy, and talk me out of it!

Sincerely,
beak.

16-5-2016 09:13:49  #2

Re: No, no; most of them must go!

You know Beak, the minute you get rid of them you're going to regret it and really wish you hadn't.
And then you'll be sad and have to start looking all over again.
Save the aggro and just keep them all after all.

Just saying.
Alan.

16-5-2016 09:14:58  #3

I totally see what you mean, Beak. Though I think I would have to stick with the Hermes, 2000 and 3000. But yes, I do have this fantasy about getting them down, down, down... my SM3 doesn't work QUITE well enough to be a desert island typer, but the SM9 and the flat ones, absolutely. I hope that one day you'll be tempted to a nice little Splendid.

Actually I'm just about to post up a picture of my little pink SF that I got the other day for £5.50, which turns out to have a totally broken lever. And it types so wonderfully well that I don't even mind.

Also, the SG3. I know you'll say you don't need it. I just think they're ineffably beautiful.

I can't believe you're parting with your 50s Alpina! That might be where my Blue Bird (Torpedo 18) comes in. And I'll keep the Gromas, too. But still, if I could do that it would be a Very Good Thing. Get it down to about 10 machines that I really love to use. 

16-5-2016 09:15:48  #4

I have a 1935 Progress, though (with a wonky o). Is that okay, as it's an Olympia?

16-5-2016 12:07:33  #5

After having now collected several Hermes 3000s and an Olympia SM9, along with several Olivetti Lettera 22s, I'm certainly much pickier about buying new machines, my standards are a bit higher than they once were.

~Joe

16-5-2016 13:41:47  #6

Beak, what on earth is going on? Surely, even with space constraints there would be room for a few machines. I can't argue with your logic for keeping the SM9, it's a workhorse, but given your list I'd probably opt to keep the SG1 instead.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-5-2016 14:28:36  #7

Due to an out-of-state move and downsizing in living space, I too have been selling my typewriters. I've been using most of my free time repairing and cleaning them for their next home. Secretly, I'm wishing that one one would buy them. I shed a tear when I sell one but am hoping that the buyer appreciates and takes care of them. In the end, I want to have 10-12 machines and hopefully have all the platens and rubber parts restored. Then I'm done! Yeah right ... 

16-5-2016 17:22:44  #8

Uwe wrote:

...I can't argue with your logic for keeping the SM9, it's a workhorse, but given your list I'd probably opt to keep the SG1 instead.

Sounds at least like he's keeping both... but for all we know it's just a lotta big talk! 

16-5-2016 17:31:37  #9

KatLondon wrote:

Sounds at least like he's keeping both... but for all we know it's just a lotta big talk! 

I think you're right and after reading the post a couple more times I think that I misunderstood what was written. So the list of machine is what he intends to keep? That's not so bad - it's certainly a list that I could live with, but I'd have to keep a couple of the rare ones in my collection or wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror again.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-5-2016 18:26:07  #10

Yes, the mentioned machines are the ones I'm keeping - sorry if I was unclear.

Still feeling that it's the right move; pare down and streamline is the way for me.  Let's face it, five machines would still be excessive in most (normal) people's eyes!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera