You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2016 04:08:23  #21

Re: No, no; most of them must go!

I think the solution might be to keep buying, cleaning and fixing up, but be sure to give away at the same rate.  I have sprinkled maybe thirty typewriters out into the world at this point, mostly to young people who found them in my house and fell in love. Most of the school typewriters I put together were Olympias, SN3s and 4s, and a couple of 9s.  They went to kids who loved to write, and I suspect they have gotten a lot of good use over the years.  I'll keep a few Hermes 3000, the Rocket and the new Alpine, if it ever gets here!, but feel good about sending typewriters back out into the world. 

23-5-2016 04:24:04  #22

Had occurred to me - what with the fuss of selling and packing.  A few will be worth it for their intrinsic value, but, as you say, many may just as well be passed on to new, appreciative users for free.

Sincerely,
beak.

24-5-2016 17:25:11  #23

That is a great thought - giving them back into the world. Except for a few museum pieces I think the appropriate use of a writing machine is to write. It is an effective cure for an acquisition addiction: start using them heavily! It takes a while to get to know a machine so it starts to fade away from consciousness and retreats to where it belongs - a loved but transparent instrument - and by that time you may begin to think just how many typewriters do you have time to get to know this way, and just how many are you likely to use in a lifetime?

Yep, I've begun to think of them as tools rather than objects for a collection fetish! Tools want to be used. It's just a damn shame they don't make decent ones anymore.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera