You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-5-2016 17:08:37  #1

Explaining Hermes 2000 Tabs?

Hi

Can someone explain to me how the tabs work on a Hermes 2000 please?
The only manual i can find online seems to be missing the pages explaining tabs.

I understand it has something to do with the little +/- lever on the front left of the machine, and I notice it pushes in the small metal teeth things when left or right, but when i press the tab key, the carriage doesnt jump to the set tab, it just flys right to the end of the line.

I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out.

23-5-2016 10:44:48  #2

Re: Explaining Hermes 2000 Tabs?

Yes, the +/- lever is used for tabs. The + sets the tab and the - removes it. So you can actually see that the lever is setting and removing the tabs? 

Is so, then look at the tab linkage and brake stop. Unfortunately, I gifted my 2000 to another collector and have regretted it since ...  so I can't physically take a look. I've discovered that tab problems are mostly related to the brake just missing the tab stops.

Turn the machine around (remove the back plate) and look at the mechanisms while moving the carriage slowly. Something might be stuck or misaligned. Also check your margin release function as well as your right and left margin function. What I love about these machines is that you can usually figure what is failing by studying the mechanisms unless a part is missing or broken. Be slow and patient. And if you take anything off, take note or pictures of assembly and  keep screws in a container so you don't lose them. 

P.S. While you have the cover off, clean the area if you haven't done so already. 

23-5-2016 12:02:46  #3

Thanks igotztowrite.

Yes, I can see the lever is setting and removing the tabs.

Not sure what the brake stop is, but I'll do what you suggest and remove the back plate and see if anything looks wrong.

The margins seem to be working fine.

23-5-2016 14:39:42  #4

I'm on the bottom of the expertise repair list. One with a 2000 will be able to explain it better and kindly post pictures. It's easier to see with pictures. Good luck and don't make the same mistake as I did by giving it away. IMO, they are fantastic machines.

Board footera