You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-5-2016 23:03:28  #1

If You Had to Start all Over Again

Hi Folks,

Inspired by another thread here, I was wondering, if you had to start all over again with manual typewriters, and knowing what you know now to be the best brands and models, which machine would you choose as your primary writing tool?

Collecting is one thing, but using these wonderful inventions for their intended purpose as writing instruments, which one would you choose, in lieu of a large collection?

Myself - and keeping in mind I haven't tried every brand and model - it would be a Hermes 3000. The two I have are simply a cut above every other machine in my collection for typing action, build quality and imprint.

How about you?

~Joe

25-5-2016 02:01:49  #2

Re: If You Had to Start all Over Again

Due to the different writing environments, may I break it down into three categories?

Standard Desktop: Olympia SG-1
Portable: Torpedo 18
Ultra-Portable:  Antares Parva (Little Star/Alma Jolson)

If I had to sell all but one, my choice would be the SG-1.

P.S. I have a love/hate relationship with the Hermes 3000 (1st gen round body). Somedays, I enjoy them. Other days, not so much. For some reason, they slow me down. I was practically gifted a 2nd gen boxy one. I love it. I can fly on the boxy one and now is added to my main "writing" rotation which consists about 4-5 typewriters. I've had four 1st gen round bodies prior to the boxy one. I have yet tried the 3rd gen one.

25-5-2016 09:05:09  #3

Wow! What a question!

Standard Desktop:  L.C. Smith no. 8 / Remington 17 (L.C. Smith:  because the decimal tabulator was really cool which is the main reason I purchased it; Remington:  a nice find/rescue from my parents' basement that I found to be a great typer during NaNoWriMo in 2015.

Portable:  Royal Quiet Deluxe (I have several of these)

Ultra-Portable:  Corona 3 / Royal Dart (Corona 3:  The coolness factor gets me on this one.) I can't make up my mind between the Royal Dart and the Smith-Corona Skywriter.  Both are reasonably good typers, though each one has individual keys that seem to stick.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

25-5-2016 12:29:30  #4

Only one? Very boring: the Hermes 3000 I think. I'd also be happy with the 2000. Or an SM9. But I'd want a travel one too and for that I'd be happy with either an Olympia SF or my little Consul which is also quite quiet.

Having said which, if I had stopped after my first two typewriters - the one I was given, which was the Tippa, and the one I then bought, which was the 1959 Quiet Riter - I'd have been perfectly happy, and they are both really, really great typewriters. 

25-5-2016 13:31:53  #5

JoeV wrote:

...if you had to start all over again with manual typewriters, and knowing what you know now to be the best brands and models, which machine would you choose as your primary writing tool?

Clearly this is a very difficult question for a collector to answer; once someone has been exposed to a number of fantastic typewriters it becomes practically impossible to narrow them down to just one machine. Proof of this can be found in the first few replies of this thread, each of which listed several models and ignored the requirement that there be only one.

To answer the question at face value, which is to select only one model to be used for writing, I would immediately eliminate every portable typewriter. There's no question that many portable models are great to use, but they don't match the feel of a standard, and given this is about selecting the best writing tool for the majority of the time, I would gladly sacrifice portability for a more solid platform.

Although there are a large number of standard models that I'd be content to use in such a capacity, I'd have to give the nod to the Olympia SG1. The most overwhelming reason for this choice is that it has the most user-friendly features for a writer, which for some reason most other standard models lack. As a writer I want a paper rest so I can quickly scan what I've already typed and know when I've reached the last line on the page. I also like the four-position vibrator control because I want to use up the entire ribbon. And I certainly appreciate the quick detach carriage for serviceability and ease of cleaning. 

My choice was also tainted by the cushioned keys that spoil my fingers, but perhaps the most compelling feature on an SG1 is the paper injector. Once you've loaded a few hundred sheets of paper into a an SG1 and then switch to a typewriter without a paper injector, it feels like a real downgrade.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-5-2016 14:11:40  #6

Well Uwe, I gasped when JoeV said only one. It's like if he were to ask me which child of mine I would kept! Although, it probably would be easier to choose ... 

25-5-2016 14:23:39  #7

Among manual typewriters I own I would pick the Hermes 9 standard. It's an amplified version of the 3000 with comparable build quality, touch and imprint, and I like full sized machines. The film-ribbon sharp 12cpi print is uncanny given the use-indented platen and the inexpensive heavily inked ribbon. How does it maintain that print quality?

You did say “start over” and not “keep one”, so given that Hermes office machines do not show up every day I would first look for a 1950's Royal Quiet Deluxe while I was waiting. It's a great all around machine neither very expensive nor hard to find while looking for The One. If you removed the qualifying “manual” I might look for an IBM type bar electric. My copy of the model B is a serious machine which compels you to Think - the stern IBM logo gazing at you out of the green crinkle forbids you to trype! Only complex abstraction and analysis will do.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

25-5-2016 16:31:49  #8

My '52 Royal HH typewriter would be my first choice.  Not exactly loaded down with a lot of extras, but they are solid, rugged, reliable typers.  You can still find a lot of them on the market, so parts won't pose too much of a problem.  I've got 5 or 6 carcasses already, and at least 2 working machines now.  Also, they interchange somewhat with KMC, KMG, and FP machines.  Plus, I've always thought they were handsome machines to boot.  However, I would pick another color scheme besides the brown for those green keys and taupe space bar.  I'm looking at different colors now.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-5-2016 17:20:45  #9

If I could only pick one, it would be a Royal KMM with elite typeface.

25-5-2016 21:04:11  #10

If I were starting afresh but keeping one typewriter, I would keep my Torpedo 15a. I find that the touch and type quality is real nice even though you have to look after it well.

Board footera