You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-5-2016 00:29:51  #11

Re: If You Had to Start all Over Again

I was going to reply and give only one, but I would still be torn between the Remington 17 and the L.C. Smith no. 8, 10".  However, I find myself using the Smith quite a bit.  Maybe I'll put the other typewriter pad under the Remington and see how that goes.  I may yet be able to respond with only one.    Not yet.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

26-5-2016 03:06:25  #12

Easy: for typing performance (not looks or value, remember) it has to be the Olympia SM9.

Not one of my grand standards? - sure, I love them, but if there is to be only one, then it has to fit the widest range of purposes as best it can, and being easily portable is a must for me, and the best portable, IMO, is undoubtedly the SM9.

Sincerely,
beak.

26-5-2016 11:24:53  #13

I could agree witth that.

28-5-2016 09:43:42  #14

A tough one...

If I had to keep only one typewriter as a writing tool I´d go for the Olivetti Linea 98. A great blend of reliability, tons of functions and raw speed. Performance-wise, it is unquestionable, but then there comes personal preference and how do you adapt to each typewriter. I find the touch very precise, you can rest assured you aren´t going to go faster than the escapement does, and it´s hard to get entangled typebars (you have to do something very wrong).

But then, if wedges are not excluded I have another candidate which devours pages and makes your life extra-easy: Olivetti ET2200. It´s not the same, but it´s a good piece of equipment.

And I was going to say that if I had to choose a portable I´d stick to the Hispano Olivetti Pluma 22 (Lettera 22 in the rest of the world) but that makes me sound like an Olivetti fan. Thing is that Olivetti has a lot of models which are only so-so, but a few of them are just great, and somehow I feel more comfortable with a Linea 98 than with a SG3.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

11-8-2016 01:54:25  #15

I'm new to this but have already learned a great deal by buying, trying, and noting what I like.

And what I like are these three:

Royal Quiet DeLuxe
SM 7
Hermes 3000

Of the three, if I had to keep 1 (gasp) it would be the Hermes. A dream to type on.

Having said that, I already own two Quiet DeLuxe writers. I love them. I have my eye on a third. But that Hermes is like a fine watch.

11-8-2016 11:30:14  #16

pdxtypewriter wrote:

But that Hermes is like a fine watch. 

Until it breaks, and then you'll wish that it was a fine watch that you had to repair and not a Hermes.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-8-2016 18:55:18  #17

Here here!!  I would go with the SM7.  I haven't owned one, but I've tried out a few, and they have an excellent touch, and I hear they're wonderfully reliable typewriters.  They have quite a robust construction to them too.  If you keep only one of those--keep your strongest--which happens to be your SM 7.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

11-8-2016 21:36:00  #18

I will say I would go with my L.C. Smith no. 8.  I spent last weekend pounding out 20 pages on mine.

Board footera