You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-5-2016 18:35:15  #1

Is my typeface alright?

Hello everyone,

as I told you in the new-member-thread, I just got my first typewriter - an Olympia Deluxe SM3 - and might would have some questions for you. Well, i cleaned everything, especially the type bars, and bought a new color-ribbon.
My problem is, that I am not entirely sure if the typeface looks like it should look. As you can see, the area around the letters shows small black dots. These dots seem to occur because the color-ribbon touches the paper. Is that normal? Might the reason be the brand-new ribbon? Or is this absolutely normal? Another thought i had was that the reason might be, that there isn't a strong tension on the ribbon (I hope you know what i mean). To me it looks like everything works correctly.

So, are these dots normal or am I doing something wrong? And are the letters evenly enough black?

And another thing i noticed: Is it normal, that even days later I am able to smudge the ink on the paper with my fingers?

(I decided to use a larger resolution so that you can see all the details of the typeface)

25-5-2016 20:18:20  #2

Re: Is my typeface alright?

Tell me, do the paper guides rub the paper whenever the carriage moves?  I am not too familiar with the SM-series Olympia portables, but there is one Achille's Tendon on the SG-series uprights:  The little clips that hold the transparent card guides away from the paper just about a couple of paper thicknesses.  If these break, and I've had many do that--sometimes when I wasn't careful putting the carriage back on, the card guides will have no space between themselves and the paper.  Again, I am not sure just how it's put together on the portables--though they may be similar to the uprights.  But check the carriage travel to hear if something is sliding across the platen.  It may be that the card guides are smearing the ink from the freshly typed letters.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-5-2016 20:35:55  #3

Thanks for the reply! I checked that - the paper guides don't really touch the paper that much. You are right, there is a little space in between them and the paper. So no, that can't be the reason.

But now I still don't know: Is this even a problem? Or does the typeface of all typewriters look like that?
As a technician I would say, the reason for those dots must be that the ribbon touches the paper while I am writing. The moment the type bar touches the ribbon, the ribbon touches the paper - unfortunately also "outside" of the letter.
The only way to fix this would be to... buy a softer ribbon? Or wait until the fresh ribbon isn't that "wet"?

Sorry for those "stupid" questions, but I'm far too young to know anything about typewriters. ;)

25-5-2016 20:39:19  #4

I suspect the problem lies in the typewriter ribbon your using. Some ribbons which I have bought and used has caused a similar effect on paper just as yours. Try reusing your old ribbon by spraying a little WD-40 and compare the results to check whether the problem lies with the typewriter or the ribbon.

It is definitely not normal that you are able to smudge the ink from the paper several days after. The ink should have dried within an hour or so.

25-5-2016 20:56:11  #5

Thank you! That comment helped a lot. I guess the only way to find out is to buy at least one other ribbon. Unfortunately I threw away the old one.

And thank you for acknowledging that it actually is a problem. I'll try another ribbon.

25-5-2016 21:12:27  #6

I wouldn't mind a photo of the vibrator to see how you threaded the ribbon. Type quality issues are often caused by incorrectly installed ribbons. You mentioned that you cleaned the "typebars", but I assume you meant the slugs?  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-5-2016 22:35:25  #7

victor_eremita wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I checked that - the paper guides don't really touch the paper that much. You are right, there is a little space in between them and the paper. So no, that can't be the reason.

But now I still don't know: Is this even a problem? Or does the typeface of all typewriters look like that?
As a technician I would say, the reason for those dots must be that the ribbon touches the paper while I am writing. The moment the type bar touches the ribbon, the ribbon touches the paper - unfortunately also "outside" of the letter.
The only way to fix this would be to... buy a softer ribbon? Or wait until the fresh ribbon isn't that "wet"?

Sorry for those "stupid" questions, but I'm far too young to know anything about typewriters. ;)

Hey!!  There is no such thing as a "stupid" question.  The only "stupid" question is the one that was never asked.  NEVER be afraid to want to find something out.  And, about that bit about being far too young to know about typewriters?!  I've been pokin' at this critters every sense I was 13 years old.  Don't ever let anyone tell you how much to know at a certain age.  You may be an even quicker study than a lot of people in their forties and fifties--including me!!  And I hope so.  If ever you want to find something out, ask anyone here on this forum--especially me.  My inbox is open to ALL.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-5-2016 23:12:48  #8

No, the ink shouldn't smear days later. It should dry fairly instantly. How I've understood it, it should dry by the time you've typed your next letter or two but not days or even hours later. 

I've had more smearing from my basic gel fine point pen than from the typewriter ink on the same piece of paper.

Question: What type of paper are you using. Is it by chance glossy? And do you know what type of ribbon that you're using - nylon or silk?

26-5-2016 03:01:35  #9

Certainly, the letters should NOT smudge.  For some reason, your ink is not drying as it should, and I too would suspect that the paper is too glossy.  There must be absorbency in the paper so that the ink does not merely sit on the surface.  Perhaps try some ordinary copier paper; if it still smudges after you have finished the work, then the ink is wrong and you should try a different brand of ribbon.
  My first thought about the dots surrounding the print was that your ribbon may not be threaded correctly (as Uwe mentioned)  - refer to the manual for threading - or if you do not have it search the internet for 'Olympia SM3 user manual'; there will surely be one on line somewhere.
Good luck.

Sincerely,
beak.

26-5-2016 16:25:20  #10

The most common cause of those dots you see around the shapes of the characters is that the type slugs are not sufficiently clean. Ink builds up around the characters and effectively makes them a little wider and this extra width pushes a bit on the ribbon, though not so much as the metal shape, and so it pushes the high points of the ribbon's weave against the paper too, just not so strongly as the metal. Those dots are the high points of the ribbon's weave. # Clean the slugs.

Another possible cause is a ribbon that is stiffer (or thicker or wetter) than it needs to be and so the nearby part of the ribbon gets dragged along when the slugs hits the paper instead of only the character shape pushing the ink onto the paper.  # Try a different ribbon.

It might be that the ribbon is threaded incorrectly or that vibrator is slightly bent, but it is not the case that the ribbon is dragging on the paper. If it were, then you would see smudges instead of those clear dots.

Speaking of smudging, no, your ink should not be smudgeable after a very short time. I agree that the most likely cause is too-glossy paper. But it might also be a poor choice of ink formula (by the ribbon-maker). It depends on whether the ribbon is good quality or the maker just got a deal on some ink that was made for a different purpose.  # Try other papers first, and if it's still a problem, try different ribbons.

HTH and Good Luck!

Board footera