You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-5-2016 09:33:00  #11

Re: Need help identifying an Olympia

typeset wrote:

A word about pricing. I've found out that, at least in San Diego, buying from a dealer is the best, though not cheapest, option.

If you want a full working typewriter, then there´s no doubt about it: go for the dealer. You´ll get what you pay for, no bad surprises. Maybe you´ll even get shocked at how good a typewriter can be after a visit to the doctor if you´re used to "wild" typewriters.

As far as my experience goes, eBay is horribly overpriced, and then there comes the nightmare of shipping. That´s two serious setbacks, but there´s the thrill of the hunt as well. I´ve found my best typewriters in average/awful/abysmal condition, and after a good repair they´re just like new. Sometimes you´ll make a better investment taking some risks when buying, but it´s also true that it can explode on your face.

Conclusion? To be on the safe side, go to the dealer. But there´s always something waiting out there...

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

30-5-2016 12:32:10  #12

Igotztowrite, I'm in Oceanside: Would love to meet another enthusiast. I was irked by their not being able to identify the model; in fact, he kept saying it was an Olympia Manual Potable. Ummm, yes, but what model? The shop is Stearns Business Machines, the only storefront typewriter shop in San Diego and Riverside counties. Here's a writeup I did on them and typewriters that was published by La Jolla Light (I work there): http://www.lajollalight.com/news/2016/apr/27/analog-machines-gaining-converts-in-the-digital/

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

30-5-2016 13:23:40  #13

Had a busy weekend otherwise I would have posted this sooner. SM5 on left, Monica on right.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-5-2016 14:48:27  #14

Uwe, great picture, stunning machines. It's my third day of binge typing on the SM5: I spoke about it in a letter to a friend in Germany (mine was made is Western Germany) and also wrote at length about it in my writer's logbook. I covet an SM3, but I knew I had to have this one as soon as I saw it. 

I shouldn't complain about my eBay acquisitions: I have bought six typewriters there and only two needed repairs, and minor at that; the rest only needed new ribbons. I found my beloved Royal Quiet Deluxe on eBay, and for that I am very grateful. Four others were bought from the dealer. Favorites from eBay so far: Olivetti Lettera 22 (great shape); Underwood Champion (nearly mint); and a newcomer, a Corona Portable.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

20-11-2016 18:16:18  #15

bought an SM5 going by the posted picture for $20.00 at a nearby flea market.  all keys work as does the return. just getting it to move or keep moving smooth for a patient with MS. thinking of blowing out any dust and oil it. anything I should be extra aware of? it did come in a leather case. Thanks for your assist.

21-11-2016 09:18:08  #16

Don't "oil" it -- especially if you were thinking of WD40. Generally speaking these machines should work without lubrication just fine, and in fact, doing so might gum it up later. If everything seems to be working smoothly, then no need to do anything more than blow out the dust and maybe clean off the body shell with a mild cleaner.

21-11-2016 10:08:50  #17

Fleetwing wrote:

Don't "oil" it -- especially if you were thinking of WD40. Generally speaking these machines should work without lubrication just fine, and in fact, doing so might gum it up later. If everything seems to be working smoothly, then no need to do anything more than blow out the dust and maybe clean off the body shell with a mild cleaner.

Agree! Never use WD40 or anything like that. Blowing it should be enough, but if you decide to oil it, use the lightest lubricant possible and always with care. Too much of it and you´ll get the opposite effect in no time!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera