You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-6-2016 18:42:06  #1

Remington Noiseless Carriage return lever doesn't work

I've recently bought a Remington Noiseless 7 and have been testing it when it arrived. However, pushing the carriage return lever doesn't seem advance to the next line even though I fiddled around with the spacing settings. Here's some pictures.

Last edited by Uwe (02-6-2016 16:23:49)

01-6-2016 22:26:49  #2

Re: Remington Noiseless Carriage return lever doesn't work

The main problem here is that the mechanism doesn't hook/interact properly with the cog connected to the platen. This problem also causes the lever not to fully return to the side of the typewriter and it is impossible to store it in the travel case.

01-6-2016 23:04:44  #3

One thing, your pictures didn't come through.  It may just be my computer, but I can't see what you're pointing at.  It does sound like to me that something is either very sluggish or is somehow hitching up in its "git-a-long." up thar.  Try putting it up to setting number three (two if it only goes that high), wet it down some with a little tranny fluid and exercise the livin' hooha out of it, going back and forth.  After that, it should free up a bit.  If not, see if there's a broken spring, or if anything else is out of place, and go from there.  I hope this helped.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-6-2016 07:27:15  #4

I had a similar problem with my Olympia SM-9 when I first got it.  I was able to determine that there was a detatched spring inside there.  One of the guys at the local repair shop was able to fix it as I watched, no charge.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

02-6-2016 08:39:49  #5

Typewriter king, I had a look and tried exercising the lever back and forth. It seems more likely to me that something may be missing or bent and thereby causing the problems. Do you know or have pictures of a reference machine?

colrehogan, Where would the spring be typically located? As I'm currently in the USA, how much would repair shops here typically charge for minor repairs?

02-6-2016 12:03:11  #6

TypewriterKing wrote:

One thing, your pictures didn't come through. It may just be my computer,

It's not your computer, I don't see any photos either.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-6-2016 14:34:47  #7

02-6-2016 16:26:05  #8

I dropped one of the images into your first post, but not the other two because the images are far too large. I'd suggest resizing your images to around 1000 pixels in width and then posting image links instead of page links so they can be viewed here. All of this is covered in the FAQ thread found within the Type Talk sub-forum.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-6-2016 11:18:26  #9

Note: The spring that returns the lever back into the original position is out of place (It's located below the minus screw).

Last edited by Uwe (03-6-2016 11:48:11)

Board footera