You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-6-2016 21:38:35  #1

Olympia SM4 rescued, but one problem remaining...

What can you expect for $5 these days, right?

How about a cream (?) coloured Olympia SM4 which, after standard mechanical cleaning and oiling works really well!  I think it was cheap simply because of the appearance; the outer shell was drenched in what seems to be some green-brown slime.  Looked as though it had been left out all night in a shower of ****.

One thing remains; the carriage will not by itself fall back fully after shifting - it's just 1mm too high!  I've cleaned and cleaned the relevant parts, and have slackened off the shift-assist spring, but still it needs a touch of the hand to seat back down properly.

Any assistance most appreciated - any ideas what to try next?

Sincerely,
beak.

04-6-2016 06:42:17  #2

Re: Olympia SM4 rescued, but one problem remaining...

Sincerely,
beak.

08-8-2016 08:51:08  #3

FIXED!
And annoyingly simple at that; the carriage locking prongs had been bent to the right and were fouling the linkage which raises and lowers the carriage.  Two light taps with a small hammer had the prongs back in their correct position in a second - and now the carriage shifts easily and at the correct heights.

This SM carriage lock may well be the cause of many shifting problems, and if your SM is not shifting well, check that these prongs are not bent towards the centre of the machine - which can happen easily if someone forces the carriage to the right, unaware that the carriage lock has to be released.

Sincerely,
beak.

08-8-2016 08:58:19  #4

By the bye, the ease with which the carriage lock prongs can be bent is another indication to me that they are completely inadequate for preventing the carriage moving in the post.  A knock in transit and they will bend, causing more problems perhaps - as in this case!  I really do advise holding the carriage release down with strong rubber bands (to disengage carriage from escapement gears) and packing either end of the carriage to prevent movement, rather than rely on this 'lock', which, I believe, was only ever designed to prevent the carriage flopping from side to side when carrying the machine from one desk to another.  Happy typing all!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera