You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-6-2016 00:55:03  #1

Smith Corona Sterling carriage problem

So I'm a newbie when it comes to typewriters and I just recently got a Smith Corona Sterling typewriter from a seller online, I have a problem where the carriage will fly over to the left if I press the spacebar even a little too hard and it will space out the letters on the words I write at random times, also if I hold any keys for even half a second too long the carriage flys to the left as well.  I've read that pushing the keys too hard or too fast can make this happen but it seems a bit too exesive to be normal, Is this typical with typewriters?  and if not how can I fix this problem?

11-6-2016 12:04:55  #2

Re: Smith Corona Sterling carriage problem

Sounds like an escapement issue, and it's possible that just giving it a good cleaning will sort it out. You'll need some mineral spirits and a supply of cotton swabs (Q-Tips). You didn't mention which generation Sterling you own, so it's difficult to get more specific other than you can get at parts of the escapement by moving the carriage to its extreme left and right positions, and by turning the machine upside down. It's located dead center of the machine under the carriage. Gently clean everything you see in that are with mineral spirit soaked cotton swabs until they remain clean, and then try using the typewriter again.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-6-2016 19:43:46  #3

The serial number for it is: 5Ax-328200 C. 1963, and thanks for the advice,  I'll try cleaning it.

11-6-2016 20:02:42  #4

Ah, so it's an end-of-the-line Sterling that hung in there for special orders while the newer 6-series models were already being sold. I have an early '60s Clipper that's a carry-over model too.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera