You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-6-2016 04:28:48  #11

Re: 1924 Underwood 5 shift issues

Just a thought; since the shift mechanism on the underwood 5 is reliant on the weight of the platen assembly to make it settle back down after shifting, could the missing rubber that needs to be replaced be the weight that is needed to make the shift work properly?

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

19-6-2016 11:30:40  #12

Another cause can be if the right hand cylinder knob is seated too far inward and is binding without allowing enough clearance. I had this same problem with both my Underwood standards when I put the knob back on too flush with the area that allows the shift motion (carriage skeleton guide.) There should be a tiny amount of space between the knob and the carriage skeleton guide so that there is no binding. Here is an illustration:

19-6-2016 21:54:47  #13

For a carriage-shift, the Underwood was very light, but it has a lot of places where it could stick.  In addition to the cleaning and a bit of tranny fluid (luuuuuv that stuff!!) look at the space between the right platen knob and the lower part of the carriage like SoucekFan says.  You might also want to look at the end arms behind the carriage on top where there is also a spring.  That also affects the shifting.  It too may need a bit of cleaning and oiling.  That machine looks like it's had a bit of time in a garage.  You'll have fun cleanin' 'er up an' buttonin' 'er up again.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

20-6-2016 09:12:13  #14

I am happy to announce that I think I have solved my shifting issue. So what I did was press the shift key so that the platen assembly would be stuck in the upper position. Then I pressed down one of the pivot arms.

If it was binding up at the pivot then pressing this arm down should have dropped the platen assembly.  It didn't.

I tried doing the same on the other side and the left hand side did drop. So it was binding up on the right. I watched where it wasn't moving and tracked it down to the linkage between the platen assembly and the carriage.

This is the linkage in question. 

And here it is in a blurry photo from underneath.

So I removed the platen assembly and sure enough this linkage showed where it had been rubbing against the platen assembly.  So I cleaned it up and used a file to clean up where it had been binding.

Now it shifts effortlessly. I still plan on spending more time cleaning up the pivot points  and getting it all shiny. But now at least I can type on it.

Or at least I will be able to once I buy some spools that fit better.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

21-6-2016 03:00:34  #15

Great Stuff.

Well done for finding the issue and getting it sorted out.
Alan.

Board footera