You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-6-2016 11:17:38  #1

Groma Kolibri drawband repair

I've bought a Groma Kolibri typewriter, unfortunately the drawband seems to be broken. The band is only attached at the bottom of the typewriter resulting in the typewriter not moving when writing. I'm unsure where and how the other side of the drawband is supposed to be attached. There also seems to be missing a spring or something to pull the drawband when it's attached. Anyone familiar with repair of this machine?

22-6-2016 17:35:57  #2

Re: Groma Kolibri drawband repair

I know someone that has a Groma Kolibri Lexus, would it help if I was able to obtain a photo of the underside?

22-6-2016 21:17:43  #3

When you say "the underside of the typewriter," do you mean the drawband is attached to the underside of the carriage (i.e. the assembly that moves to the left as you type)? I am not familiar with this model, but typically, the drawband on a typewriter is attached to the underside of the right side of the carriage, and is attached on the other end to the edge of the typewriter's mainspring. The mainspring is an enclosed unit, mounted vertically underneath the carriage on the left side, and is in the shape of a disc or wheel. Others can describe this a lot better than I just did, or have pictures to illustrate this.  But look for the mainspring assembly, and you should be able to find a hook or notch where the drawband attaches.

24-6-2016 10:10:08  #4

I have a Kolibri here at home and could take some pictures for you if you'd like.
I am new to the forum however, and don't know how to upload pictures. If you could tell me how, I'd be happy to take some pictures for you.

26-6-2016 10:03:02  #5

Hi, thanks for your replies. I would love to see other Kolibris underneath, to see if they are similar.
The drawband was not broken just disconnected. I've now managed to attach it to both sides i.e on the underside of the right side of the carriage and beneath the typewriter at what I assume is the mainspring (a circle thing). My problem now is I've got no clue as to how I should be supposed to wind up this mainspring.

26-6-2016 10:07:51  #6

I've uploaded some pictures of the typewriter here, hope it will make it more easy to see what the problem could be: http://imgur.com/a/vSW6g

27-6-2016 14:37:57  #7

Check the mainspring "(a circle thing)" to make certain it has tension. You can test it by rotating it slightly then release it. It should spring back when released. If the mainspring doesn't spring back (have tension) then you need to repair/replace that before worrying about drawband/drawstring attachment. If it does have tension, then you need to turn it a couple of times then attach the band/string.

Do know, you may need an extra pair of hands and a lot of patience. My first repair took forever until I got the concept. After, it was pretty easy. Google this repair so that you can get the mechanical concept behind the repair, even it it's not for your model.

I won't have access to my friend's machine for a few weeks or photos .. sorry

Board footera