You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-6-2016 14:50:39  #1

Rare Remington 1

I bought this recently for $50, which seems a very fair price. It's one of the experimental models made in 1921, and doesn't have a shift key on the right.Unfortunately, the platen doesn't grab the paper and I have to ease it in with much struggle. I do like the inky typeface, but imagine this machine will get little use and remain more of a collector"s item.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

19-6-2016 20:54:52  #2

Re: Rare Remington 1

I too have an "early features" model. Yours is in much better condition than mine. It's beautiful. Mine is not suited for long typing sessions yet it's fun to use AND portable. I use it for poems and letters. I love your multi-colored keys. I wonder if the that's the original colors? 

Nice find! 

19-6-2016 21:44:33  #3

I too have one like that, only I don't have the multi-colored keys.  It was my Great Grandmother's, and I've had it since 1983.  It is one I am NOT ABOUT to sell.  I'm keeping it for her.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

20-6-2016 13:18:25  #4

igotztowrite wrote:

I love your multi-colored keys. I wonder if the that's the original colors?

Coloured, or discoloured? They don't match the typical patterns used to teach touch typing, so it seems less likely that the colouring was intentional as opposed to an effect of staining and aging. It would be nice to know either way.

As for the machine itself, I can understand a manufacturer releasing a small production run as part of a trial to gauge public acceptance, but I'd be surprised if any manufacturer would try to sell "experimental" models. Along those lines, I wonder just how 'rare' these early models really are when at least three members here (and there could be more) own one? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-6-2016 13:27:00  #5

Good point, Uwe, on rarity. Any suggestions on how to get the paper to feed? It slips on the p[aten.

20-6-2016 13:32:50  #6

Actually, I had two. Gifted one. I don't consider them rare. I had fun "seeking" this model for its historical significance. In the sea of these models, it was nice to find the earlier ones. I believe there were 500k-600k made? 

20-6-2016 13:36:12  #7

20-6-2016 15:14:12  #8

typeset wrote:

Any suggestions on how to get the paper to feed?

Most likely it's the feed rollers. Have you had a look at them? They could be flattened, or cracked, or both. If the platen itself is super smooth that would be a problem too (cleaning it with rubber rejuvenator would help). Less likely, but possible, it could be an issue with the paper feed tray, so check its operation using the paper release. There are a number of other scenarios, but those are the typical issues with a machine its age.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-6-2016 15:16:54  #9

igotztowrite wrote:

I believe there were 500k-600k made? 

Half-a-million of the trial Portable 1 model doesn't seem right. I can see those numbers for a regular production model though.

20-6-2016 21:45:21  #10

Perhaps the 500K-600K was for the Entire Model #1 production? That number is stuck in my head. Is there any production guideline for considering a machine rare? 

Board footera