You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-6-2016 23:53:26  #1

Olivetti Film Ribbon

Greetings All 
​Just seen some Olivetti film ribbon on eBay (item # 112033638475), does anyone know if this ribbon is single use or multi-strike. I scored a two spool pack of Carter's re-useable film ribbon a few weeks ago which makes really crisp clear type impressions. I was thinking that as this ribbon is ½", it could be wound onto regular spools. Thanks and all the best,  Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

23-6-2016 16:50:05  #2

Re: Olivetti Film Ribbon

From what it says about being re-usable, I would gather it was multi-strike.  I've got some stuff, a whole case of it, meant for Underwood old-style (before SX-150), that's made of mylar, and I have used it as multi-strike.  I've even rewound a few spools onto different machines--even a 1973 IBM Selectric I once owned.  Anyway, it was a multi-strike ribbon.  Pretty neat stuff.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

17-7-2016 15:12:26  #3

Re: Olivetti Film Ribbon

Here’s what I found

The ribbon arrived, so I built a little jig for spinning a ribbon spool in an electric drill and loaded a spool. Evidently wasn’t thinking too well as I put the carbon on the inside. Wound a second spool with the carbon on the outside and loaded it into a typewriter.

Turns out the ribbon is single use so the letters overlap on a normal typewriter. A 1968 Royal Sabre winds the ribbon through faster than the norm, so this single strike ribbon works just fine and gives really crisp lettering on the paper. I received 24 rolls of 450 feet of ribbon per roll, so I have lots to work with. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera