You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-6-2016 18:43:29  #1

Olympia SM9 Backspace Issue

Hi Everyone,

You've all been very helpful in the past, and I've appreciated it. I am in need of some more advice, and I am thankful in advance for anything you can tell me. 

Just yesterday, thanks to a combination of my clumsiness and my toddler's clumsiness, I dropped my Olympia SM9. It didn't fall far, and the surface it landed on was a carpet. There was no visible damage, and I thought it was fine until I tried using it again and found that the backspace key, when pressed, doesn't return to its appointed position. It does what it's supposed to do--the carriage moves back a space when I press the key--but then the key doesn't move back up to join the other keys.

I don't know anything about typewriters, except that I like them, and so my hope is that what's wrong is obvious to those who are more experienced. Like: did a spring get jarred loose? There is a local expert I can take it to, but if it's something simple I'd prefer to address it on my own.

Thank you in advance.

27-6-2016 16:30:25  #2

Re: Olympia SM9 Backspace Issue

If the backspace mechanism is still working properly that's good news, but you'll need to work through its linkages from the keyboard to the carriage area. It sounds like something may have been slightly bent by the jolt of the impact that is preventing the backspace key from returning to its normal position. Some good light, and manipulation of the key while you follow the parts it's moving should reveal the problem.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera