You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-7-2016 09:31:16  #1

1924 Underwood 5 bell not loud

I'm still working on my new Underwood 5 typewriter.  The shift works great now, so onto the next problem.  The bell, when it does make a sound, is more of a dull clank than a loud DING. has anyone come across this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

01-7-2016 09:55:55  #2

Re: 1924 Underwood 5 bell not loud

Hi NDW76,

There seems to have been a bit of issue with Underwood 5's and bells !!
I have found quite a few links via Google regarding this problem. It seems that even when working the bells 'Ding' is a bit weak and weary.
There is a particular part that can wear that can cause this amongst other things.
Have a look at this for a start:  http://wordsarewinged.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/tuning-underwood-5.html
There are other similar suggestions as well.
Let us know how you get along.

Cheers,
Alan.

01-7-2016 13:26:55  #3

I believe there is a tiny, very thin piece of rubber (I think it is rubber) that the arm of the bell ringer hits before the round tip on the end strikes the bell, which over time can be worn, hard, or missing. Adhering a thin, tiny piece of rubber, in the correct spot on the metal rest under where the arm lands should correct the weak bell. You can try out a temporary fix, and just use a tiny sliver of electric tape--maybe a few layers thick--and placing it just under where the bell arm rests (the original piece may still be there but may be worn). It is tough to describe, but I had the same issue with my Underwood 3. I tried the tape first, to find the right spot, and then cut a thin strip from the flattest rubber washer I could find, and glued it to the spot. It rings fine now. I think the arm is suppose to hit the rubber spot first, just a hair before the striker hits the bell so that the striker doesn't rest on the bell, and can ring vibrate/ring without being dampened.

11-7-2016 19:11:17  #4

The easiest thing is just to bend the little ringer up a little in your case. Its not even enough to damage anything, as its such a small adjustment. The bells on my #5s are all nice and loud with this.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera