You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-7-2016 00:32:59  #11

Re: Got my first Hermes

I also have trouble only with the "A" on several of my machines while touch typing. Coincidence? No. I think there's a few good reasons.

First of all, "A" is the third most frequent letter in the English language, superseded only by "E" and "T". Second, "A" is at the extreme edge of the keyboard, so you will be striking this often-used letter with a weaker finger. Third, a large majority of people are right-handed, and thus this third most frequently used letter is typed by the weakest finger of the weakest hand.

These three reasons together make for a very good reason why many people seem to have "A" troubles while touch-typing.

~Joe

06-7-2016 16:41:24  #12

I can only speak for myself.  Yes, the letter A is actuated with the left pinky--believed to be the weakest finger on the weakest hand.  When I was in grade school, I tried to write everything left-handed until my teachers taught me right-handed, so I have "mixed dominance" in my hand strength.  My left side is stronger, but yet I'm right handed in both eating and writing.  After awhile, your fingers get strong enough to where your technique gets better--especially if the machine is well-oiled and well-shopped.  Besides, I'm the best pinky-wrestler in my neighborhood--able to almost pull out middle fingers by the roots with that tiny little digit.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

07-7-2016 13:47:42  #13

JoeV wrote:

These three reasons together make for a very good reason why many people seem to have "A" troubles while touch-typing.

Is it really many? I've never had an issue with the letter A on any typewriter, nor have I ever come across any other typist suffering from an A deficiency issue. In fact, this thread is the first place that I've read the A-key use being discussed in such a manner, so I question if this really is a common problem.

I'm not trying to nitpick your point, and no doubt your explanation is absolutely correct for some instances; however, the internet being what it is, a place were statements can spread like wildfire, it's important in my mind to separate fact from fiction, and researched facts from speculation.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-7-2016 15:08:18  #14

Uwe wrote:

Is it really many? I've never had an issue with the letter A on any typewriter, nor have I ever come across any other typist suffering from an A deficiency issue. In fact, this thread is the first place that I've read the A-key use being discussed in such a manner, so I question if this really is a common problem.

I have experienced it, and have read about others having the same issue in quite a few places (Reddit, blogs, Youtube) as well as it being mentioned here (bottom post) :
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=897

Though it doesn't happen to me now that I type correctly, if I wanted to, I could make some of my Royal portables do this if I deliberately typed incorrectly. It is not exclusive to the A key, but the A key seems to be the biggest offender from the examples I have read.

07-7-2016 16:24:55  #15

With the two Hermes 2000, I can't remember if it was specifically the letter A. I do know that those two machines did skipped with three different typists. I don't use my pinkie finger. I use three fingers on each hand. My husband uses his index fingers and strikes the keys extremely hard. (he is a true platen punisher).  I had a local collector who is a touch typist test them out and he too experienced skipping problems. Three different typing techniques led me to believe that it wasn't the typing style. I've had skipping problems with other models but somehow managed to fix them with through cleaning and/or adjustments, not the two Hermes 2000 though. I couldn't figure it out.  Personally, skipping is the main quirk that takes the joy out of using these machines. I will not use a machine that skips.

29-7-2016 16:48:49  #16

I concur with igotztowrite: I cannot stand a machine that skips for long. I do use them now and then, but I've found that this problem takes away from my focus on what I'm writing. I become self-conscious every time I prepare to strike the offending key. Interestingly, my older machines, such at the Royal KMM and Underwood Rhythm-Touch, don't have skipping keys.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

11-8-2016 11:19:59  #17

I just acquired a green/pistachio Hermes 2000. It's feel is unique among the 10 typewriters in the stable and is rapidly becoming my favorite, exceeded only by the Olivetti Lettera 32, my go-to-the-beach typer.

I don't have trouble with the 'a' on the Hermes, but my Smith-Corona Sterling skips on the 'a' and the three Olympias seems sensitive to the same key.
I'm pretty certain it's my typing. There's no way the single escapement mechanism knows what key is being struck, so it must have to do with speed, force, and angle of that pinkie finger. IMO.

One portable, one desktop machine. What would I do with more? - he said, unable to see his future.

11-8-2016 11:32:37  #18

Mike, I love mine, too. I used it yesterday and wrote nearly a page with little skipping, which makes me think that typing technique is a big part of the problem. It doesn't help, I believe, that I type with two fingers and tend to be a bit forceful.  

11-8-2016 21:39:43  #19

My SC also skips on the "a" sometimes. I think part of it is my bad typing.

12-9-2016 10:22:45  #20

I was about to sell it, but decided to give it another go before I listed it. Lo and behold, it only skipped every few pages, which proves it's mostly user error. I've been using it the past few days and am enjoying it.

Board footera