You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-7-2016 13:28:23  #1

Olivetti Lettera 25

My faithful Olivetti developed a problem with the number three.  I would not come up when I struck the key. The bar seemed to have slid slightly over and was laying against the one next to it.  I c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y pulled the bar away and noticed it had become slightly bent.  Seems to work fine when I straightened the bend out and hope it is a good repair.  I do wonder how it could have happened as I am a careful typist?

09-7-2016 15:42:17  #2

Re: Olivetti Lettera 25

The usual cause for this is two or more typebars getting locked together after clashing the keys hard.  Since you are a careful typist, is there any possibility that someone else has been trying out your machine without telling you ?

09-7-2016 16:46:30  #3

As connoiseurs and officionados of a very revered and precisely designed wonder of the world, we just H-A-A-A-Y-Y-T-E when some all-thumbs nurk comes along and just pounds a whole wad of keys into oblivion all at once on our prized machines.  Many times we work diligently (sometimes for hours) to get everything balanced and working like, well, a well-balanced machine.  It's worse than nails on the chalkboard when I see someone who hasn't the slightest interest in, nor knowledge of, a typewriter--thinking of it as some curiosity with a whole bunch of buttons on the front of it.  They'll go merrily whomping on a poor hapless typewriter like it was a miniature game of Whack-A-Mole, never minding the history they're helping to destroy.  And then you have the even lower keychoppers.  Let's not forget those guys.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

18-7-2016 11:53:55  #4

I gently separated the bar and it seems to work fine. Thanks.

Board footera