You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-7-2016 07:35:45  #1

Vibrator slipping ...

Okay, first post, I think I found someplace to get answers. I hope ...

I have a smith corona classic 12, late 60's early 70's. The problem is the vibrator is slipping and letting the ribbon float out of the thing., NOW I know SC has two vibrators. One is like the one in this unit, it looks like a "U" and you slip it in from the top, and it is supposed to keep the ribbon in line. The other is like two "C"s. I have this on my Forecast 12,also a SC machine made for Sears....Here you need to fold the ribbon in and it goes in and under the two retaining sides. THAT holds well.

NOW can I fix, bend, reshape the vibrator to it holds the ribbon or better could I find the other vibrator and somehow swap that part out, the "C" type V/s the "U" type? Is this something I should be looking at doing or is this a professional repair?

As far as my skills, I am a locksmith and I am used to working with small parts and fixing things sort of like this, but I do not want to screw up my old dependable machine with my own efforts.

Your help and advise would be appreciated. My thanks for reading this and taking the time to respond.

The Aerojet

20-7-2016 16:53:31  #2

Re: Vibrator slipping ...

The vibrators I've seen on this vintage of Smith-Corona portables are of a spring-type mechanism that pinch shut to hold the ribbon in.  The way to get the ribbon in or out is to go through the ends that are fairly tightly pinched together, but not hard enough to tear the ribbon as it goes in or out.  If they lose their tension, the ribbon will slip out.  What you"ll want to do is to find, say, a small mail or the end of a paperclip, slip it in to one side of the vibrator until the pincers open.  Then take you a pair of needlenose pliers and pinch them as shut as you can get them.  Keeping them open with the paperclip will spring back the pincers just a little bit so that when you clamp the top end of the pincers shut, they will pinch a little harder once you remove the paper clip.  Do the same to the other side.  Let me know how you come out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

21-7-2016 20:00:07  #3

Hi Aerojet: you probably know what you are doing, but is it possible you simply have the ribbon threaded incorrectly through the vibrator? I'm wondering if you have been able to consult a manual for your machine, as a manual will typically include a diagram that shows the correct way to thread the ribbon. It might be best to check this before you risk any mechanical adjustments that might not be necessary.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

25-7-2016 08:24:22  #4

Thanks, I have tried a bit of everything, but it seems that I need to either get this thing out of the machine and really rework it, or just try again. Yes I am threading it right. That part works. It just when I roll fast like 20+ wpm this thing flies out of the vibrator. I know go slower - which is what I have been doing. What I really like is the vibrator which "captures" the ribbon by going under then up - holding the thing in place no matter what.

Board footera